RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help needed! WHS V1 (HP EX485) stopped working

JonDeutsch

Hello,

I'm a bit in a bind. I have all of my files on my WHS, and I recently made a huge mistake and lost my cloud backup of the server. Worse, my WHS stopped booting.  The blue health light blinks forever. I tried to clone my boot drive with a new boot hard drive, but the same result occurs (blue health light blinking). I tried holding in the reset button but nothing changes.

I do not know what to do next.  Any advise greatly appreciated.  About 3GB of my files are being held hostage by a non-working WHS right now. 

Thanks!

Oh really? The files aren't broken up across the drives? So I would piece together the files across the 3 drives into the shared folders they are in?

Run the server recovery option. That will fix the issue (and make sure it's recovery, not factory reset).

But as cskenney has indicated, you can access the contents in the hidden "DE" folders in the root of each drive.

Two questions:

1. How do I run recovery (I thought pressing the reset button would start this process, but it did not) if my boot drive may be corrupt?  Do I put in an unformatted drive?

2. If I put in an unformatted drive, many of my files will not be in my storage, since I can see many of my files are on the boot drive (under another partition).

Any additional insights greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Jon

Run the server recovery option. That will fix the issue (and make sure it's recovery, not factory reset).

But as cskenney has indicated, you can access the contents in the hidden "DE" folders in the root of each drive.

You need to run the recovery software on your PC, You also need to connect the server directly to the PC running the software, as well.

As for number 2, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. 

However, if you're running the recovery on a new drive, you'll want to unplug ALL of the other drives (or it WILL wipe them). And you'll want to do this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090411184621/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

Thanks.  What if I try to run recovery on the existing system drive?  Would I then keep all my data drives in the system when doing this?

Does you know if the system recovery app works with Windows 10? 

Thanks for all the advice...

You need to run the recovery software on your PC, You also need to connect the server directly to the PC running the software, as well.

As for number 2, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. 

However, if you're running the recovery on a new drive, you'll want to unplug ALL of the other drives (or it WILL wipe them). And you'll want to do this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090411184621/http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System

Depends.

If you run the recovery, it will rebuild that system and pool.  

If you run the factory reset, it formats ALL the disks in the system. 

And if the system disk failed (or is failing), the only option you may have is factory reset

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to copy over each drive's "DE" directory to a backup drive before I perform any system recovery (just in case something goes wrong).

Because each drive appears to have the same directory structure (presumably with different files saved on each drive), is it safe to literally backup each WHS1 drive's DE structure to the same directory structure on my backup drive?

In other words, copy each drive's DE\shares contents to my backup drive's "shares" directory?  Basically performing a massive file merge into the same directory structure?

Thx.
Jon