RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Getting Windows Media Center to Work with Windows 10

Rod at home

I have looked through that, it appears they have captured all kinds of registry settings, service configs, etc. to 'port' the stuff to win10, assuming there are no trojans etc embedded in the package.

it is hard enough to get WMC to work on windows 7 :(   Last time I tried to rebuild win7 and get my cablecard working I ran into a litany of "old" and "new" problems - it would not get guide data for my zip code, then when I worked around that I had to work around playready appearing 'out of date' and 'failing to update playready' after every reboot.

After both win10 and this hack have settled down I may try it on a spare drive for giggles. But thanks for the link.

Yeah I don't intend to use it. The whole caveat warning people that they need to be careful because implementing it could be dangerous, has put me off.

A brief discussion of this subject is available at the beginning of the latest (#342) Entertainment 2.0 podcast.  Conclusion is DO NOT DO THIS. The suggestion is to run a hyper-v version of XP or W7 in W10 and run WMC in that.

I for one would not be messing around with WMC if it were not for my need for cablecard. I am not aware of a way to get HDCP out of a VM so it seems like I am stuck with win7/win8 for now.

WMC is like an orphan child of microsoft. There are plenty of fantastic alternatives to choose from, most of which are still being enhanced and supported. I think exploring alternatives would be much more rewarding than trying the hack.

Edited by nrf
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Don't try to add, hack, force WMC into Windows 10 it will end horrible. I have tried and your system will become unstable and you will end up either restoring from a backup or a fresh install. Like nrf said vm's are the best way to go.

I for one would not be messing around with WMC if it were not for my need for cablecard. I am not aware of a way to get HDCP out of a VM so it seems like I am stuck with win7/win8 for now.

WMC is like an orphan child of microsoft. There are plenty of fantastic alternatives to choose from, most of which are still being enhanced and supported. I think exploring alternatives would be much more rewarding than trying the hack.