RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 add HDD to ODD

djcslip

I've added a HDD to the ODD slot but it will not get recognised at boot.. do i have to make any bios changes?

No. It just appears like one of the drive bays. The only thing is that it isn't bootable if you're in AHCI mode.

I'm sure I set it to legacy. I'll try ahci. Thank you.

Don't use legacy mode. It will be emulating an old PATA controller and it probably won't be able to cope with a fifth drive.

If you are on the B120i you need to enter the configuration utility during boot and set the drive as a single RAID0. Then you should be able to see it.

AHCI mode will not boot from the ODD SATA port. There are ways to set a boot loader on a micro SD card if you want to run AHCI and boot from ODD SATA port.

I think i'm failing at the first hurdle. 

I select AHCI attempt an ubuntu install and no drive detected to install to (i was going to install the grub to a usb stick)

If i select B120i - enter the utility - no drives detected.

Tried different drives, different cables - just no go. 

All the firmware on the gen8 is original i think - i have the latest SPP - but i need to do a remote update of any firmware and that's causing headaches.

OK.. if all else fails.. go back to basic.. turns out 4 out of the 5 drives i happened to have hanging around are duff :( what a donkey i am.. thank you for your time and advice though