RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To RAID or not to RAID?

audin

Taking delivery of a WD Red 3TB today to replace my external drive and I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to re-build my server.

Currently I have an SSD in bay 1 running the OS and the WD Red will be in bay 2. The current SSD in is raid 0 and I'm wondering whether there's any point in this?

Does having a RAID set up reduce network performance? When I set up my server with Server 2012 Essentials I used the Intelligent Provisioning and set up the HDD as RAID 0, however I've tried everything and I can't get network file transfers above 5mb/s.

Is there any benefit to having a single HDD in a RAID config or should I scrap it and rebuild without RAID?

Also, I will only have a single WD Red so again is there any point in RAIDing it?

Thanks.

Edited by audin

Using the B120i and single drive RAID0 is a way to get drives to boot from the ODD SATA port. If you are only putting drive in the four front bays and you are not planning on using RAID1 or RAID10 you could just use AHCI. 

As for your network performance is it 5Mbit/s or 5MByte/s? 

What are you using for a switch and what are you using for a PC to measure?

Using the B120i and single drive RAID0 is a way to get drives to boot from the ODD SATA port. If you are only putting drive in the four front bays and you are not planning on using RAID1 or RAID10 you could just use AHCI.

As for your network performance is it 5Mbit/s or 5MByte/s?

What are you using for a switch and what are you using for a PC to measure?

How do I switch to AHCI exactly? Can I use Intelligent Provisioning to install OS under AHCI or is that RAID only?

5 megabyte per second. Measuring via normal network file transfers to and from the server. Everything connected to a Trendnet Gigabit switch.

Does RAID make things slower or is that irrelevant?

Apologies for all the questions!

Edited by audin

You change from B120i to AHCI in the BIOS. You should be able to make the change and not need to re-install the OS.

RAID should not effect network speed. When you are copying to and from the server what drive are the files in?

You change from B120i to AHCI in the BIOS. You should be able to make the change and not need to re-install the OS.

RAID should not effect network speed. When you are copying to and from the server what drive are the files in?

I've tried copying to the SSD and the external drive and the speed is exactly the same. There's a bottleneck somewhere and I'm not sure what it is... Thinking it's the OS that's the problem but I don't know why.

Can you verify that everything is connected at Gb? 5MB/s is kind of a number you would see from a 100Mb/s Ethernet connection.

Well my Sky box is only 100Mb/s could that be bringing it all down?