RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Another Anywhere Access cry for help

Hi everyone.  I'm a long-time reader of these forums, but have only just registered to post.  Let me take this opportunity to thank all contributors for all the information contained here - it's been massively useful to me.  But I have a problem that I'm struggling to resolve, despite battling, googling, and reading for a week now.  Sorry for the length of this post...

Last week I "upgraded" my trusty WHS2011 running on a N54L to Server 2012 R2 Essentials.  The change went reasonably well, but involved much learning by me and I still don't have all the features completely set up.  One thing that's just plain broken for me is Anywhere Access.

From outside my home network (from my employer's corporate network, actually) I can successfully see my home webpage at https://<mydomain>.remotewebaccess.com/ and can access documents, media, etc. fine. But when I try to Remote Desktop to the server or the client, it doesn't work.  After typing in my credentials, I get this error:

Error when trying To connect

The Anywhere Access page in the server's Dashboard... Settings window looks like:

Settings status

Any ideas whiy the router's IP and Model are shown as "Unknown"?

When I click "repair", the result is:

Repair Result

Note that the server *is* connected to the internet - I can browse microsoft help pages, do Windows Updates, etc.

If I try Anywhere Access from a client on my home network, it works fine.  So, I'm thinking it's a firewall or port forwarding issue?  Even though I can access my documents OK?

My router is a Buffalo running DD-WRT.  The server is the DNS (with forwards set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), the router is the DHCP server.  I've never been convinced that uPnP works properly on the router, so I've now disabled uPnP and manually forward ports 443 and 80 to the server's static IP.  This made no difference to Anywhere Access.    I've enabled some logging on the router, and will examine those logs this evening.

Can you guys suggest what I can look for next?  Any idea why the "repair" reports that the server isn't connected to the internet when it is really?

Thanks in advance for your help,
David

This sounds like an issue with your router and I usually don't worry about an error there.  Setup everything manually and don't let UPnP do it for you.  The first thing I would try would be to modify the host file on the client and see if that helps.

However, I will ask an underlying question.  Why do you need "Remote Access" to a server that is on your local LAN?  Just use RDP.

Did the remote desktop logic work from your employer's network when you were running WHS2011?  I can access my home server from work and use the web pages, but the proxy server or some other setting at work interferes with my ability to use remote desktop.  I am able to enter my credentials, but I get an error after it tries to connect for a while.  Oddly, my personal tablet that is on a separate network for employee-owned devices is able to use remote desktop.

• Like 1

The router logs didn't work.  I'll try again tomorrow with some different logging settings.

Why do you need "Remote Access" to a server that is on your local LAN?  Just use RDP.

Thanks for replying.  I don't - that was just a test.  RDP is what I use when I'm on my LAN and it works fine.

Did the remote desktop logic work from your employer's network when you were running WHS2011?  I can access my home server from work and use the web pages, but the proxy server or some other setting at work interferes with my ability to use remote desktop.  I am able to enter my credentials, but I get an error after it tries to connect for a while.  Oddly, my personal tablet that is on a separate network for employee-owned devices is able to use remote desktop.

That's interesting.  Yes, it did work fine on WHS2011, but it's been a while since I tried it....  I'm going to install an RDP client on my phone, and try that at work tomorrow.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Oddly, my personal tablet that is on a separate network for employee-owned devices is able to use remote desktop.

Yes, the same for me!  Thank you very much for this suggestion - spot-on!  My personal Android phone using the "employees" wifi network can indeed RDP to my server perfectly.  So, Anywhere Access is actually fine.

I'm still perturbed about the serious-looking errors on the Anywhere Access Dashboard Settings page.  Why would the server think it's not connected to the internet when it actually is?  What problems is it trying to tell me about?

Any entry in your host file would resolve that local issue.

Sorry, I don't quite understand.  Which local issue?  Are you talking about the hosts file on the server?  And really any entry?

Not on the server, on the local client. Modify the host file of the client to include the IP address and hostname of the server.

I'm still perturbed about the serious-looking errors on the Anywhere Access Dashboard Settings page. Why would the server think it's not connected to the internet when it actually is? What problems is it trying to tell me about?

This issue has been around since v1. It is thought to be caused by the various firmware sets on the many routers out there. If it's working, ignore it.

• Like 1

OK, I'll try the host file when I next get a chance.

This issue has been around since v1.  It is thought to be caused by the various firmware sets on the many routers out there.  It's it's working, ignore it.

That's reassuring - just what I needed to hear.  I'll ignore it then.  Thanks very much for your advice!