RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Weird issue on heat sink

nooob

My mid range gaming rig is about 6months old now. during that time I dont have any problems in my rig

But just today, I saw some weird issue about my heat sink.

First I keep having this CPU fan error when I boot sometimes. I check the fan and yes my heatsink is not turning on. I had to touch the fan a little and and push the blade side ways so that the blade will rotate and the heatsink will work. This doesnt happen before. I thought this wont happen again but it happens a lot of time today. This also happen for when my computer is on sleep mode. after waking it up I check the heatsink and its not rotating.

Second is that even though my fan is working for, I still have a boot error saying CPU fan error. Even after disable the CPU fan check on mother board the CPU fan error doesnt go away. 

Is there something wrong with my heat sink? Whats the problem here?

Thanks

This is my spec

My CPU is

AMD FX 6300 6-core black edition 3.5GHz AM3+

Motherboard is

Asus M5A97 R2

HDD is

Seagate Barracuda HDD Internal Bare Drive 1TB 720 RPM

I dont have an SSD

PSU is

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

GPU is

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x 4096MB GDDR5 OC version

RAM is

Corsair 8G DDR3 1600MHz vengeance low profile

Edited by nooob

Sounds like a bad fan on the heat-sink.  You are seeing it, and the motherboard is telling you the same thing.

Cheapest solution is to just swap the fan out.  Or if you wanted to upgrade the heat-sink to something better than the stock one, this might be the time.

Sounds like a bad fan on the heat-sink.  You are seeing it, and the motherboard is telling you the same thing.

Cheapest solution is to just swap the fan out.  Or if you wanted to upgrade the heat-sink to something better than the stock one, this might be the time.

Hmm but isnt it weird that it just happens after 6months? it doesnt happen before. Also this is my first successful build rig upgrading it means I have to remove the stock heat sink right and replace it with a 3rd party cooler?

No, its not unusual, especially given that's its likely a mechanical problem.

Bearing/sleeves can fail.

Make sure that nothing is blocking or impeding the fan. You could replace the fan with an equivalent size fan

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

No, its not unusual, especially given that's its likely a mechanical problem.

Bearing/sleeves can fail.

Make sure that nothing is blocking or impeding the fan. You could replace the fan with an equivalent size fan

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

CPU fans are relatively cheap.  I'd buy a couple just to have a spare.

What I am afraid of is removing the Heatsink though. Its AMD and last I did remove the heatsink I got so many bent pins on my processor. It is really my last resort. Im just hoping that maybe there is still a way to fix this.

Cleaning it as well needs my heatsink to be remove.

If there is no other choice. Ill try to buy a custom heatsink. Do you have any recommendations for my build? Probably cheap yet effective

Thanks

Edited by nooob

You should be able to remove the fan without removing the heat sink -   should just be screwed or clipped in place.

for that matter  why are you removing the processor when you attach or remove the heat sink ?  

I am  an "AMD" guy  -  the amd design for attaching heat sinks can require a bit of force to clamp.

The best practice for installing heat sinks on AMD in my opinion is to remove the Motherboard from the case first.   I put the bare motherboard on a piece of foam and can get it on and off rather easily.

but the processor remains locked into the motherboard at all times

You should be able to remove the fan without removing the heat sink -   should just be screwed or clipped in place.

I see. SO I just have to remove the fan and not the whole thing to replace or clean it?

for that matter  why are you removing the processor when you attach or remove the heat sink ?  

I am  an "AMD" guy  -  the amd design for attaching heat sinks can require a bit of force to clamp.

From what I remember, when I was doing my build. I tried removing the whole fan. Since  the AMD processor has this sticky paste, It got stuck as well on the heatsink. So when I tried pulling the heatsink out the processor came off as well together with it. I had to also replace the MOBO because of that. :P  It was really my first time doing those thing and so have no idea that that will happen. That is why even today, I am a little more confident and buiding computer but when it comes to cleaning or upgrading some part that really scares me.

Edited by nooob

Otherwise an easy trick to help loosen up the heat-pad/paste is to simply heat the heat sink up with a blow dryer.

As operating temperature for the CPU is well above human comfort levels this shouldn't do any damage whatsoever to the CPU, just keep the heat sink temperature below 65 degrees Celsius or skin burning temperatures :)