RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Noob to Gen8 G1610T

Ramboisawimp

Hi,

I have just bought one of these :-

http://www.ebuyer.com/722189-hp-proliant-gen8-g1610t-4gb-ram-microserver-819185-421

and would like to upgrade the memory, can I buy this :-

http://www.ebuyer.com/393263-kingston-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3-ecc-hp-server-kth-pl316e-8g

This would make my server 12gb (4gb in base system) + the 8gb memory.

Will this work or do I have to buy another 4gb to match the base system memory so then there would be 8gb

Great forum BTW

hi and welcome,

just have a look to the threat "ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links". At the RAM section you can find a lot of compatible Ram types.

hi and welcome,

just have a look to the threat "ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links". At the RAM section you can find a lot of compatible Ram types.

Thanx for the quick reply, but the memory I have linked to is ok for the Gen8 G1610T judging from the many comments on reevoo.

My question should of been can i put a 8gb stick in next to a 4 gb stick to get 12gb of memory

or does it have to be the same size. 

ie:-

2gb+2gb

4gb+4gb

8gb+8gb

or can you have different memory combinations

ie:-

2gb+4gb

2gb+8gb

4gb+8gb

sorry for the misleading post homer s

My next question is...

I am currently running Freenas from a usb stick with 1 WD red in drive bay 1 (data) (ZFS)

and would like to run freenas through ESXi 

Can i use the disk in drive bay 1 (data) to store my vm`s (will the vm see my WD red)  I dont want to format it.

Dont worry there will be loads more question..... :) (I am young but I will learn)

My next question is...

I am currently running Freenas from a usb stick with 1 WD red in drive bay 1 (data) (ZFS)

and would like to run freenas through ESXi 

Can i use the disk in drive bay 1 (data) to store my vm`s (will the vm see my WD red)  I dont want to format it.

Dont worry there will be loads more question..... :) (I am young but I will learn)

No, ESXI disks use VMFS format and FreeNas use ZFS. If you want to use ESXI with that same disk, you will need to reformat it.

Be careful very though if you want to use FreeNas and ESXI - the only safe way to do it is change the CPU out for an Xeon, add another HBA card and use PCI Passthrough so the FreeNas VM has full control of the disk controller.

I know you could use RDM disks, but I have personally lost data doing it like that...

Edited by snapper
  • Like 1