RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TV Calibration discussion

itGeeks

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this weekend. My daughter will be at her freshman year at college and this is her birthday weekend. Mom and Dad will be visiting and attending a football game.

Perhaps next year I can do the tv calibration demo.

Really hate to miss this, but family comes first. I will live the meet up vicariously through the podcast.

TV calibration demo? Sound interesting, What software/hardware do you use for this?

MODERATOR EDIT - This topic was started in another discussion and split off. - CSK

TV calibration demo? Sound interesting, What software/hardware do you use for this?

I use Calman software from SpectraCal and I have the C6 sensor. I use the AVS Rec709 test patterns from AVSForum.com.

My thought was to demo a calibration using a test disc like Spears and Munsil, then show how to go deeper with greyscale/color calibration using the sensor/software package.

I use Calman software from SpectraCal and I have the C6 sensor. I use the AVS Rec709 test patterns from AVSForum.com.

My thought was to demo a calibration using a test disc like Spears and Munsil, then show how to go deeper with greyscale/color calibration using the sensor/software package.

I don't want to hijack this thread with talk about TV calibration so maybe we could start a new thread or maybe an Admin can move this for us? I would like to talk more about this with you, I have the

CALMAN BASIC WITH X-RITE OEM I1DISPLAY but after sevral hours of failed attempts to get the calibration rite on my TV I got frustrated and never tried again. I also have Spyder4 TV HD from DataColor http://spyder.datacolor.com/portfolio-view/spyder4tv-hd/

I find this much easier to use but I have heard you get a better calibration with Calman though at the cost of being more complex. Lets move this conversation to a new topic, I would like to chat more about this subject. I will PM the forums Admin and ask him to move this for us if you don't mind chatting?

Edited by itGEEKS

It would be great if you could do a YouTube video for first timers using the software/hardware from SpectraCal :rolleyes:

That would be down the road a bit. I've never made a video. Sorry for the late reply. I had to work both days this weekend and am just getting home/eating/bed/up to work.

I'm hoping to get our conversation going by mid-week.

Can you tell me the problems you've had with CalMan?

• 1 month later...

That would be down the road a bit. I've never made a video. Sorry for the late reply. I had to work both days this weekend and am just getting home/eating/bed/up to work.

I'm hoping to get our conversation going by mid-week.

Can you tell me the problems you've had with CalMan?

Sorry for the late reply, I am not sure what the problem was but the TV looked relay bad after I was done. Its probably just learning pains. I gave up after 3 tries. It takes a long time to get threw it once never mind 3 times.

• 4 weeks later...

My turn for the late reply. My apologies. I should have some time over the next couple days to talk about this with you. 

For starters, what kind of tv do you have? Make/model. Did you set the sensor correctly in the CalMan software and the correct tv type? (I have the CalMan 5 software).

I go through things in the following order:

Turn off all the extra processing "features" of the tv: Noise reduction, motion smoothing, etc. I usually start in Movie mode. 

on the AVS disc, adjust the basic User settings: Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness. If you have a Blue Only mode on your tv, use that to adjust the color and tint instead of the blue plastic glasses.

Then I go to HT Advanced Workflow in Calman (CM). Click on the Dynamic Range in the menu. Bring up a 100% White Window on the AVS disc and take a reading. I usually try for 38 fL to start. You will probably see multiple lines on the screen since the white balance is not yet done. You can adjust the light output of the tv using the Backlight setting if you have one on your tv, or alternately, use the Contrast setting to reach your target of 39-40fL.

Next, go back to the basic AVS patterns and adjust the Brightness again. You want to be able to just see the bar blinking at 17 (I think it is 17. I'm going from memory here.)

Now, go back to AVS Windows and choose 10 Step Greyscale.

On CM5, go to the Grayscale/Gamma menu. 

Work your way through the AVS disc from 100% to 10% and on up to 90% to take your initial readings and see how your tv currently looks. If you can take a screen capture from CM5 I'd be curious to see it. Save this in a file labeled "Before" so you know what you had when you started.

Now the fun part!

Bring up the tv menu and find the White Balance adjustments. Depending on your tv, you will have RGB Gain and RGB Offset. If you have 10 step calibration you will have what I just said, along with a 10 Step option.

Bring up the 80% window on AVS disc and click on the 80% reading on CM5. 

Now start playing with the RGB Gain levels. This controls the upper part of the display. Get everything adjusted so they are equal.

WARNING: Pay attention to your gamma reading here in CM5. I made the mistake of using the Grayscale 2pt menu in CM5 and adjusting until RGB was equal. I ended up really lowering the levels and resulted in a very dim display. The 2pt menu will show you greater detail between RGB, but only relative values. The Grayscale/Gamma window will tell you that you are adjusting in the correct direction. Get it close there, then jump to the 2pt menu item to fine tune it.

Now bring up the 30% display in AVS and repeat the adjustments in your tv using the Offset RGB menu adjustments.

Now go back to the 80% display and tweak that up because adjusting the 30% probably influenced the 80%.

Now go back to the beginning of the 10 Step Window display in AVS and take a new greyscale reading in CM5.

How's it look?

After we work through this, we can move on to the Color Adjustments.

Hope this helps!

Jon