RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Linux server

Mcol

I am new to linux servers. I have messed with them in the past with not luck. For the last few years I have been using WHS 2011 which looses support next year. Not that that is a huge issue just a motivation. I have been kicking around the idea of using virtualization on my home server. Currenty I am running and AMD Phenom II x4 and 16gb Ram in my WHS system. What I would like to do is use KVM or a bare metal hypervisor of some sort to host a linux home server. Right now for the home server I'm leaning towards Amahi. I would also like to be able to host at least 1 game server on this system as well. There is the possibility of hosting other systems for testing and just a tech play ground if you know what I mean. But as I am new to linux I need some advice and help. I'll list my questions below. Also besides the answers if you know any good resources I would appreciate it. With being new to linux I'm not even sure what all questions I need to ask.

1. Will my current hardware and AMD Phenom II x4 and 16gb ram handle virtualizing a home server and game server and possibly other systems on the same hardware.

2. Coming from WHS 2011 is Amahi a good choice

3. I run pfSense for a home router and as I understand it from perusing the web Amahi almost needs to be your DNS and DHCP server whic pfSense does for me now. How can I use them together best.

4. How does KVM handle storage. In my windows experience using VM Ware I was always told to setup HDD storage seperately from the VM which makes sense. How is this handled in KVM.

5. Is there something other than KVM I should be looking into that I have missed

6. Are there other things that I am missing( I am sure there are)

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond. My background is in IT in End User Support so I'm not totally lacking in understanding(just mostly!)

Edited by Mcol

• 1 month later...

I did not like Amahi for the reason you mentioned although it was a few years ago and they might have made it so it does not need to be the DNS. Have you looked into Openmediavault? It is Linux based but very easy to figure out and there are a lot of videos on YouTube on how to use it. I have used it in a VM and stand alone. As for VM software I love Hyper-V. Lots of support, and it's free.

• 1 month later...

I went through this thought process myself about a year ago, I looked at Amahi, FreeNas and unRaid, and I ended up going with unRaid for my media server, and kept my WHS2011 running for my system backups and critical files, with offsite storage as the backup.  One of the main reasons for going with unRaid was that it supported different sized drives just like drive pool did, and if I remember right, neither Amahi or FreeNas would let you do that.

I'm not using VM's or dockers with it, but it does support both, with a very active forum for support.

Hi

I am currently using Xpenology and it does all I need but looking at VMs etc. I am currently considering UNRAID 6. Previously used WHS2011 and liked it though (although friends laugh).

Good luck.

K