RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Two Servers, Different Behaviour with 4 TD HDDs

Madcal

So, just bought two Gen 8 (cashback £55 each nice).

Upgraded RAM to 16 GB each.

Put a 200GB SSD in the optical slot using a power splitter and an SATA cable

So far so good.

Built both boxes on Windows 10 Prof (maybe the problem starts here).

A. runs something called PlayLater which records Netflix for me to watch on my travels.

B. runs all my home surveillance cameras and be a NAS.

It all worked nicely.

Box A.

Then I added a 4TB WD Red to box A.  It shows up in Windows as 4TB having used the RAID utility in BIOS to setup the logical drive.  Works fine.

Box B.

Added 2 x 4TB WD Reds, set them up as 2 4TB individual drives in the RAID controller.

Then it refused to boot with a "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG" or whatever message from Windows.

No recovery no matter what I did with the windows install USB

So I have now wasted several hours trying to get windows back and it is just not happy.  Firstly Windows refuses to see the drives as bigger than 2TB.  Secondly it intermittently refuses to even install Windows again on the SSD.

But both boxes brand new, same Windows 10, same RAM, same SSD.

Why can one see 4TB and one not?

Why is Windows unhappy on B and not on A?

I have had a look around your site (it is great by the way) but can't see any easy answers.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks.  I just got it up and running with only one of the drives alone - RAID 0 4TB and it works...

Now I try to get the other one running.

Weird...

So - now put in the second drive into bay 3 (as bay 2 was so troublesome before) and it shows up in windows as a 4TB drive but already with a 2TB partition and a 1.7TB (I know the GB vs GB maths) and Windows refuses to create a drive on the 1.7TB part.

Any ideas how to get it to see Drive 2 as 4TB.  To be clear both are set up as separate arrays in the B120i configuration tool.  It is windows that is having trouble...

Thanks!

Many thanks for help so far.

3 reboots, added and deleted the logical drive / array twice and now it sees it as a 4TB.

Just part of the fun I guess ;-)

So - now put in the second drive into bay 3 (as bay 2 was so troublesome before) and it shows up in windows as a 4TB drive but already with a 2TB partition and a 1.7TB (I know the GB vs GB maths) and Windows refuses to create a drive on the 1.7TB part.

Any ideas how to get it to see Drive 2 as 4TB.  To be clear both are set up as separate arrays in the B120i configuration tool.  It is windows that is having trouble...

Thanks!

Present it as GPT.

It all works now thank you.

But how do I present as GPT (which maybe I did inadvertently) so I know for when I stick another two drives in and it goes dufus on me again?

Tq

In the computer management console the drive should be there.  Delete the partitions (2TB & 1.7TB) and then right click the Drive Info and "Convert to GPT Disk"