RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos UTM is getting a new version and guess what? No more 50 IP Limit.

Taffeys

I think it will just ignore anything above 6GB if I understand correctly.

I hope so. However, I have 16GB (2x8GB) in my box so I'll just pull that and put 8GB (2x4GB) in and save the 16GB for another project.

pcdoc

Wow, I am getting router envy.  I thought a core I3 with 4 gigs was an overkill for my untangle box.  Looks like I will need to upgrade hardware to keep up...

schoondoggy

Do you see any benefit with the extra memory and CPU?

With Sophos I have been happy with quad core Pentium and 4GB mem.

Taffeys

I have never tested different CPUs and memory amounts. When I built my box I followed the advice of a "Wizard" on the Sophos User Bulletin Board who said (and repeated recently): 

"Go with the fastest core i-3 you can get. Make your minimal ram 8 gigs (you can go higher with no detriment), just do a 64 bit install. You will struggle to get 100 megabits with the i-7's you simply do not have enough users to push the cores beyond idle."

LoneWolf

Going from a quad-core Pentium (I'm assuming you mean Core 2 Quad, as I don't know of any Pentiums that went higher than dual-core) to an i3 probably means considerable energy savings under load.

If you're running a physical box and not a VM for Sophos, I'd probably go with one of the lowest TDP Core i3 CPUs I could find.  Actually, I'd go one further with a quad-core Atom on a mITX board.  Stick on an Intel dual-port NIC and you're golden.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

nrf

At least with the current software it appears the actual memory usage varies with the number of rules in place. I believe the equivalent for the cpu would be that the need varies with the features you are using, for example if you are MITM scanning https traffic it is going to cost you more cpu. So in some cases a recommended config may be overkill yet in others turn out to be a dog.

itGeeks

Wow, I am getting router envy.  I thought a core I3 with 4 gigs was an overkill for my untangle box.  Looks like I will need to upgrade hardware to keep up...

pcdoc, I am not convinced of that. I been running Sophos on a Supermicro SuperServer Atom D525 1U Rackmount Server Barebone System, Black SYS-5015A-EHF-D525 with 4GB of memory and its been running just fine, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GKULFO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UJPCJ7HNQ38G&coliid=ILRSSVZDNCPXT

In fact this new version of Sophos still in beta seems to be using around 20% less resources. Right now with all the protection enabled that includes AV scanning and IPS in Sophos beta my Atom D525 CPU seems to run at around 11-20% and memory seems to be around 45%. I always have lots of traffic on my LAN because of 6 IP Cameras, Folder Syncing to off-site NAS boxes as well as backups running to and from me, Gaming Consoles & Streaming Services. This Beta has been running 6 days now and the numbers I posted above have been the average so far so at this point at least for me I don't believe I need any Core i3 unless I am otherwise proven wrong.

Hope this helps...

Whats the numbers been for the CPU & Memory usage? Are you using IPS and Country Block?

itGeeks

Going from a quad-core Pentium (I'm assuming you mean Core 2 Quad, as I don't know of any Pentiums that went higher than dual-core) to an i3 probably means considerable energy savings under load.

If you're running a physical box and not a VM for Sophos, I'd probably go with one of the lowest TDP Core i3 CPUs I could find.  Actually, I'd go one further with a quad-core Atom on a mITX board.  Stick on an Intel dual-port NIC and you're golden.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

That's an interesting motherboard, I have been looking to put togeather a test system using a Celeron J1900 for testing Plex Media Server on it. Another interesting box that I was just made aware of that looks like it mite make a nice router is the "Fit IPC2" Form factor is nice but its pricey http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/ipc2/

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

pcdoc, I am not convinced of that. I been running Sophos on a Supermicro SuperServer Atom D525 1U Rackmount Server Barebone System, Black SYS-5015A-EHF-D525 with 4GB of memory and its been running just fine, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GKULFO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UJPCJ7HNQ38G&coliid=ILRSSVZDNCPXT

In fact this new version of Sophos still in beta seems to be using around 20% less resources. Right now with all the protection enabled that includes AV scanning and IPS in Sophos beta my Atom D525 CPU seems to run at around 11-20% and memory seems to be around 45%. I always have lots of traffic on my LAN because of 6 IP Cameras, Folder Syncing to off-site NAS boxes as well as backups running to and from me, Gaming Consoles & Streaming Services. This Beta has been running 6 days now and the numbers I posted above have been the average so far so at this point at least for me I don't believe I need any Core i3 unless I am otherwise proven wrong.

Hope this helps...

Whats the numbers been for the CPU & Memory usage? Are you using IPS and Country Block?

Thanks.  My test box is actually an I3-2120 with 8 gigs so it sounds like that should do the trick.  I plan on trying to put this together this weekend to see how this runs.  Are you using this as your primary router or did you configure a test connection?

LoneWolf

That's an interesting motherboard, I have been looking to put togeather a test system using a Celeron J1900 for testing Plex Media Server on it. Another interesting box that I was just made aware of that looks like it mite make a nice router is the "Fit IPC2" Form factor is nice but its pricey http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/ipc2/

That one is probably geared for point-of-sale systems, hence all the legacy ports.  However, those can be good with a router/firewall, and there are other versions in roughly the same price range.

The server versions with dual-NIC ports cost far more, so better off getting a basic and a PCIe x1 dual-NIC, or a quad-port if you need multi-WAN.