RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos UTM is getting a new version and guess what? No more 50 IP Limit.

itGeeks

I've looked, and it's not clear. To be honest, I have no idea.  I'll need to put it into production to really test it out. 

Thanks. I am going to put a little more time into it and see if I can get things going, If all else fails I will reinstall UTM9 and give all this a chance to flush itself out then at a later date I will revisit it. Right now its a love/hate relationship with it. I did test Netflix on some of my mobile devices and that seems to be working without all the RegEX stuff.

pcdoc

I am trying hard to like this product this product but it has not sunk in yet.  For some reason I find it more confusing that Untangle.  As for the 50 IP limit, that is always a problem.  I have that now with Untangles paid services such as the application filter as I am now up to 56.  As most are Roku, Apple TVs, Home automation, IP cameras, printers, etc., they told me if I bypass them as they do not count against the license. As they do not really need the more extensive filtering that PCs and servers do.  Not clear if that same option is available on the Sophos.  Untangle does not control how many IP on the free version only services you pay for.  I am curious how you guys will like Sophos going forward so I look forward to hearing more.

itGeeks

Thanks. I am going to put a little more time into it and see if I can get things going, If all else fails I will reinstall UTM9 and give all this a chance to flush itself out then at a later date I will revisit it. Right now its a love/hate relationship with it. I did test Netflix on some of my mobile devices and that seems to be working without all the RegEX stuff.

I am happy to report that I am up and running on this new version of Sophos but man has this product changed, I could not get the port forwarding working before because of the learning pains I guess but that's working now also. I am sad to report though to spite what I sad on my post # 21 Netflix still seems to be a problem for mobile devices at least Android, When I first tested it it seemed to be working but now its not so I cant explain it. Internet speed test show good results with low ping times, Still lots to do but I wanted to report how its going.

itGeeks

I am trying hard to like this product this product but it has not sunk in yet.  For some reason I find it more confusing that Untangle.  As for the 50 IP limit, that is always a problem.  I have that now with Untangles paid services such as the application filter as I am now up to 56.  As most are Roku, Apple TVs, Home automation, IP cameras, printers, etc., they told me if I bypass them as they do not count against the license. As they do not really need the more extensive filtering that PCs and servers do.  Not clear if that same option is available on the Sophos.  Untangle does not control how many IP on the free version only services you pay for.  I am curious how you guys will like Sophos going forward so I look forward to hearing more.

Mike, Sophos is a great product but yes its also very different then Untangle. I used Untangle as well as PFsence and with each product there comes the learning pains of each. After you put in all the heard work of setting up Sophos I think you will be very happy with it and its all free for "home use" If your going to start learning Sophos I would suggest you not start learning UTM9 but rather there new product still in beta because its again totally different from UTM9 and you will have to learn it all over again as I am doing, Not fun but I think the end result will be worth it. With the new version of Sophos still in beta there is no more 50 IP limit and that's great news for us home users :)

Edited by itGEEKS

pcdoc

Mike, Sophos is a great product but yes its also very different then Untangle. I used Untangle as well as PFsence and with each product there comes the learning pains of each. After you put in all the heard work of setting up Sophos I think you will be very happy with it and its all free for "home use" If your going to start learning Sophos I would suggest you not start learning UTM9 but rather there new product still in beta because its again totally different from UTM9 and you will have to learn it all over again as I am doing, Not fun but I think the end result will be worth it. With the new version of Sophos still in beta there is no more 50 IP limit and that's great news for us home users :)

Actually, I should have been more specific, the version I did not like was the existing released verisons.  The beta looks allot better to me though I am in new territory.  I am in the process of setting up a test environment for it and will post my progress.

schoondoggy

Looks like the Home version will support 4 cores and 6GB of memory

Taffeys

Looks like the Home version will support 4 cores and 6GB of memory

Really,if so I'll have to pull memory out of my box to upgrade  :angry:

Poppapete

Really,if so I'll have to pull memory out of my box to upgrade  :angry:

Me too. I have 8GB as 2 X 4GB so can't really go to 6GB without buying all new memory!

Poppapete

Just did a bit of investigating and found this:

"@rrosson We'll allow up to 4 cores, and 6GB RAM on the home license (which is a pretty substantial offering) In the system you describe, we would work just fine, but only make use of 6GB of the 8GB available. Likewise if you had more CPU cores, we would only use the first four."

So I can use my box for Copernicus but only 6GB will be used which is OK as 8GB was overkill.

Also note SIP won't work in beta so you probably can't use VOIP via this router just yet!!??

schoondoggy

I think it will just ignore anything above 6GB if I understand correctly.