RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos UTM is getting a new version and guess what? No more 50 IP Limit.

pcdoc

pcdoc how did you prepare to move from your previous UTM to XG V16? Take screen shots? I'm dreading the thought of having to rebuild my Sophos UTM from the ground up and have avoided it.

Have been holding out hope for their promises online config migration tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I actually ported from Untangle (older version) and did the screenshots thing.  No migration tools for that one.  The actual setup was not that time consuming but I did suffer a learning curve.  I got some initial help from ITGeeks and Drashna to get me going then ran away with once I figured out the logic.  V16 is now a bit easier to setup mainly because of the layout, navigation, terminology changes.

• Like 1

snapper

I'm coming up on my 50 IP limit of Sophos UTM and Sophos has no way of issuing a license that supports more without a paid subscription. May need to migrate to XG Home after all.

I feel your pain with IP addresses. UTM to XG is my Christmas project.  :unsure:

Was going to deploy on my ESXi host, but I've got hold of a pair of Sophos AP's and they go down when the UTM/XG goes down. Gets a headache if I want to work on the host as WiFi goes when I shutdown the VM...

Already got a dual intel NIC ITX motherboard (Asrock IMB-181), 8gb SODIMM, i3-4130T, 120gb SSD and case. Just waiting for the CPU cooler to get started...

pcdoc

I feel your pain with IP addresses. UTM to XG is my Christmas project.  :unsure:

Was going to deploy on my ESXi host, but I've got hold of a pair of Sophos AP's and they go down when the UTM/XG goes down. Gets a headache if I want to work on the host as WiFi goes when I shutdown the VM...

Already got a dual intel NIC ITX motherboard (Asrock IMB-181), 8gb SODIMM, i3-4130T, 120gb SSD and case. Just waiting for the CPU cooler to get started...

Outstanding.  Look forward to hear both of your comments.  I need more people in the circle to start sharing their experience.  I am on my 4th deployment now so let me know if I can help.

snapper

Bit of a setback. Unpacking all the bits and noticed that the RAM socket is damaged on the mobo  :(

Replacement ordered but don't know if it be here before Christmas.

Hope it isn't a bad omen  :o

pcdoc

Bit of a setback. Unpacking all the bits and noticed that the RAM socket is damaged on the mobo  :(

Replacement ordered but don't know if it be here before Christmas.

Hope it isn't a bad omen  :o

No, its called getting your problems done with early for smooth sailing...

snapper

No, its called getting your problems done with early for smooth sailing...

:) hope so!

Jason

I've still not gotten the courage or ambition to start my XG install

pcdoc

I've still not gotten the courage or ambition to start my XG install

That's OK, I can tell you are thinking it, cautiously itching to try it, planning for the worse, hoping for the best....  We have faith in you...

• Like 1

snapper

:) hope so!

Well Santa called early Xmas eve and dropped off a shiny new Mitac PH12SI motherboard :)

Found it cheap on eBlag; its a Thin ITX Skylake with onboard power, so saves messing with a PicoPSU and was going to get here quicker than the replacement IMB-181.

Downside is the dual Intel LAN is I219 & I210.

XG doesn't support the 219 yet, but I was planning on running ESXi on the box so I could swap between UTM and XG until I was comfortable with XG anyway.

Jason

Though I'm still dreading the thought of starting over from UTM 9, I'm getting closer to making the move to Sophos XG. Suddenly encountering constant alerts that I've hit my 50 IP home licensing limit. Perhaps my DHCP lease time of 7 days is too long...whatever it's become a nuisance.