RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos UTM is getting a new version and guess what? No more 50 IP Limit.

itGeeks

That's right, its great news for those of us that have lots of devices on our network.

https://www.astaro.org/beta-versions/project-copernicus-public-beta/58630-answered-question-about-home-licencing.html

Quote from there beta forums

"yes, there will be a free home use license version of Copernicus available. We still strongly believe in making our product freely available for home use, and plan to make Copernicus also available for free home use. The home use will be limited in the number of cores and RAM it supports, rather than the number of protected IPs, as well as message customization, but will include all features on the box"

• Like 1

jmwills

You need more than 50 IP's on a home LAN?

itGeeks

I don't but depending on how big your family is some may need more then 50, I myself have 40 active IP's at any given time and I have a small family. With more & more devices coming out that are internet enabled you could easily go over 50 IP's in the near future unless of course you don't like tech. Think about it, Refrigerators, Microwaves, Thermostats, Digital Picture Frames, Home Automation, TV's, HTPC, Tablets, Computers, Smartphones, And the list goes on. Ya for me the dropped 50 IP limit in Sophos is a warm welcome.

nrf

including some ipv6 addresses I have 35 IPs on mine. it adds up quickly as you get more gadgets!

Dave

I just installed 9. Will it do an in place upgrade?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

That's right, its great news for those of us that have lots of devices on our network.

https://www.astaro.org/beta-versions/project-copernicus-public-beta/58630-answered-question-about-home-licencing.html

Quote from there beta forums

"yes, there will be a free home use license version of Copernicus available. We still strongly believe in making our product freely available for home use, and plan to make Copernicus also available for free home use. The home use will be limited in the number of cores and RAM it supports, rather than the number of protected IPs, as well as message customization, but will include all features on the box"

That's aboslutley fantastic!!!

Yes. At least I do. 

I am constantly getting the "less than 10% free" notification about available licenses. Especially since I've really started creating a VM lab (sure I could probably isolate it better, but ....)

Tis a good question. I suspect "in place", but may need to generate a new license.

Drashna Jaelre

Based on the versioning number for the Beta ISO... it may be an upgrade.  But it's a significant change ... so it's hard to tell.

itGeeks

Hi Dave,

I feel your anxiety, After having to do a fresh install after Untangle came out with there new version when I was using it I never want to have to go threw that again. I have spent the most part of a year tuning Sophos and I am finaly at a point where its been rock solid and everything is working great so the last thing I want to do is start from scratch. If you have a look at this post https://www.astaro.org/beta-versions/project-copernicus-public-beta/58863-answered-upgrade-path-once-out-beta.html

It looks like they may have an in-place upgrade path sometime in the future but not at launch time but I am not sure if it will come to light, This is a brand new platform for Sophos (aka) v1 so I am not hopeful as I feel to much has changed and may not be possible to do an in-place upgrade :( Also to make matters worse it looks like any RegEX rules you have defined may not work either, I spent a good month implementing these from Drashna blog get to get thing like Netflix on mobile devices and many other things working, o dear :o Have a look at this thread for that https://www.astaro.org/beta-versions/project-copernicus-public-beta/58869-answered-url-regex-format.html

Looks like there maybe upgrade pains all over again, O well no sense fighting city hall if I have to do a clean install I think I mite just set it up in a VM get everything manually setup from my production box do a backup of the configuration then do the clean install and restore my backup configuration from the VM and hope for the best.

Edited by itGEEKS

itGeeks

Based on the versioning number for the Beta ISO... it may be an upgrade.  But it's a significant change ... so it's hard to tell.

Its great to be hopeful Chris but my money is on a fresh install because as you said lots has changed, I am not even sure at this point if we will be able to do an in-place upgrade from beta to final. I for one am not looking forward to it but this new version looks great. Please read my post# 8. Chris you are the comunity expert on Sophos as far as I am concerned, I have learned allot about Sophos thanks to the wealth of free information you have on your blog, I still feel Sophos owes you some kind of retribution for the great how-to articles on your blog. Please keep us posted on your findings with this new version of Sophos. Also one last note, It looks like they may have fixed the streaming isue in this new version so maybe we dont have to setup all the RegEX hacks to get things like Netflix working on mobile device, We can only hope. have a look at this link post# 7: https://www.astaro.org/beta-versions/project-copernicus-public-beta/58659-answered-streaming-device-exceptions.html

Edited by itGEEKS

Drashna Jaelre

Oh, man....

All of my rules are Written in RegEx (I made sure of that, actually). So they should carry over. I hope.

But I don't like the new UI. It's .... actually more cluttered. 
However, there are a lot more options, and a lot more customization, it looks like. (and you should be able to customize the splash screens it creates now!). 

Man... I'm going to have to completely rewrite my guides...... and stop progress on the ones I've been trying to work on.