RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Another Newbie networking question: switches and routers

Royco

it is so much easier to wire them up front. I would recommend that anyone planning new construction consider it carefully.

Complete agreement here.  Not only that, but there are multiple uses for CAT5/CAT6.  You can extend HDMI across them for audio or video, for example.  There's just so much more that can be done if you build a wired network into a new house.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• nrf

• Royco

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Device 1 and Device 2 are on the same subnet then it will go via the switch only and not touch the router at all. The switch learns the MAC addresses of what is on each of its ports so will normall

Hi Royco, Let me start this off by saying I am very sorry if what I said yesterday sounded rude I was just simply trying to make a point at the risk of sounding like the jerk that I am not. I would l

My youngest son just built a house and I insisted he run "home runs" back to a central wiring closet.  The entire cost was $1500 for all materials and labor.  If I were closer I could have done this f

Complete agreement here.  Not only that, but there are multiple uses for CAT5/CAT6.  You can extend HDMI across them for audio or video, for example.  There's just so much more that can be done if you build a wired network into a new house.

Agreed