RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diggityDawg

The next MSS?

cskenney

I can't say I would recommend WHSv1 to anyone who will want to run Vail later. What's the upgrade cost going to be? I say go straight to Vail.

I'm running vail with a 2 TB HD in the storage pool and a 2TB HD not in the storage pool. I've got a scheduled task that copies files from the pool drive to the other drive. That 2nd drive should protect me against Vail crapping out.

The biggest problem with running Vail right now is the lack of addins.

I am not saying don't try Vail, but there has been a number of people (including Dave, Jim, John and Chris) who have recommended you only use Vail for testing at this time. You may have yourself covered with the 2nd HD not in the storage pool. However, the scheduled task may mean you automatically change something on the backup drive that may include a corrupt file (is it syncing or only copying anything new). You should still have a manual backup that is a snapshot of the drive that you could go back to if needed.

My point on WHSv1 is that it is stable and works. No reason not to start using it now. Even if all you are going to use it for is to provide automatic backup of your desktop or laptop PCs, it is worth spending the money. Believe me, I have lost a hard drive that was not backed up and I don't ever want to have that happen again.

• Like 1

Alvin Ramard

I am not saying don't try Vail, but there has been a number of people (including Dave, Jim, John and Chris) who have recommended you only use Vail for testing at this time. You may have yourself covered with the 2nd HD not in the storage pool. However, the scheduled task may mean you automatically change something on the backup drive that may include a corrupt file (is it syncing or only copying anything new). You should still have a manual backup that is a snapshot of the drive that you could go back to if needed.

My point on WHSv1 is that it is stable and works. No reason not to start using it now. Even if all you are going to use it for is to provide automatic backup of your desktop or laptop PCs, it is worth spending the money. Believe me, I have lost a hard drive that was not backed up and I don't ever want to have that happen again.

I'm not trying to argue with you. Key point I wanted to get across is that going with v1 then Vail will mean an extra upgrade cost later. It's too bad that MS has not shed any light on what that will be. There's no question that v1 has lots to offer. This website wouldn't be here if it didn't.

I know going straight to Vail is not for everybody. I'm only using Vail as a file server and for backups. That works well for me. Like I hinted at before, the current lack of addins for Vail is not going to suit everybody.

After posting my earlier post I realized that the way I copy files from one drive to the other could end up copying corrupted files to my "backup" drive. I think that this weekend I'm going to change how this works. Instead of copying from client to storage pool, then from storage pool to backup drive, I'm going to do copying from client to pool and client to backup drive.