RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diggityDawg

The next MSS?

diggityDawg

I tried upgrading the CPU in my EX485 last weekend to an E5200 and bricked the whole thing. It's a long story, but yes, I tried everything and the mobo is just fried. HP tech support won't sell me a replacement mobo, so my next best option is to get (or build) a replacement. I really love the form factor of the MSS's and don't know that I could build something that small that would remain cool and quiet (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm leaning strongly towards buying another MSS. However, I seem to remember the EX490/495 was announced last September. I'd hate to buy a new MSS this month, only to find out there are brand new models out next month. So my question is, has anyone heard anything about the next models of MSS coming from HP? Any specs or release dates? Any conferences coming up that might be good for the big announcement?

Also, if I were to get an EX490, would that support a 64-bit OS? I thought only the EX495 would, but I just saw a post where they seemed to say all Atom processors support 64-bit operating systems...?

Thanks!

Eddie

cskenney

All of the HP Boxes MSS boxes are able to run a 64 bit OS.

cskenney

I should mention, if you were John "Diehard" Zajdler you would take that MSS box and figure out how to shoehorn a new motherboard in there.

diehard

Good one cskenney ROFL :D

kermi

Unless you *really* need it, i'd hold off getting new box untill Vail comes out.. I suspect there'll be all sort of intresting and wonderfull problems trying to upgrade V1 box to Vail.

Which is precisely what i want / intenend to do.. One way or another.

Oh.. and if i'd done enough research to figure out there's gonna be a new version sometime soon, i wouldn't have bought my EX490 yet..

Edited by kermi

cskenney

Why wait? There is nothing wrong with WHSv1. If you always wait for the next thing you will always be waiting. Meanwhile you would be missing out on backing up your PC's.

diggityDawg

I should mention, if you were John "Diehard" Zajdler you would take that MSS box and figure out how to shoehorn a new motherboard in there.

If I knew where to get a new motherboard, I would definitely take a shot at installing it! HP won't sell me one and I wasn't aware that there were other mfg's making motherboards for this form factor...? But if you know of some, PLEASE let me know!! I'd love to stick with this box until Vail is released, just can't go without a home server for months...

cskenney

My reply was something of an inside joke. If you listen to the podcasts and follow the forums you will learn that Diehard likes to "improve" his computers / servers.

I don't know if there is another motherboard that will fit inside the MSS box, but others may have some ideas.

mrossco

If you inspect the board or hunt around long enough through Google, you may figure out who's making the board for HP and whether or not they have another flavor of it that you can buy.

Alvin Ramard

Why wait? There is nothing wrong with WHSv1. If you always wait for the next thing you will always be waiting. Meanwhile you would be missing out on backing up your PC's.

I can't say I would recommend WHSv1 to anyone who will want to run Vail later. What's the upgrade cost going to be? I say go straight to Vail.

I'm running vail with a 2 TB HD in the storage pool and a 2TB HD not in the storage pool. I've got a scheduled task that copies files from the pool drive to the other drive. That 2nd drive should protect me against Vail crapping out.

The biggest problem with running Vail right now is the lack of addins.