RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 - Raid not showing up

tarsinion

Hi Everybody,

i get serious headace with the raid controller within the hp gen8. For some reasons the raid is not beeing displayed when i try to install an os.

It seams that ahci is enabled insted of the raid controller, but i checked like 10 times the bios and the raid controller is selected.
The boot process shows up one logic volume, ilo is showing up the raid as well, but in every os i try to install only the two wd reds are beeing displayed.

In this example i'm trying to install esxi 6 - but its usless as there will be no raid after the installation.

Its pretty mutch the same With Windows 2008 / 2012..

What the hell do i miss ?

Thanks for all hints ..

raid start2.PNG

Edited by tarsinion

Hi - 2x WD Red with 3TB, configured as Raid1 ... i did attach a picture shown above.

Did did try to reconfigure the raid with only 2 tb or less and but that seams not be the issue here.

Thanks for your help :-)

Edited by tarsinion

The B120i "RAID controller" is actually the Intel SATA controller but with a HP firmware + HP drivers. If you don't load the HP drivers into the OS during installation then you won't see the RAID drives. For ESXi, you need to use the custom HP image or build your own image from the HP VIBs.

Be aware that the B120i controller has significant performance issues due to the requirement for the ESXi host CPU to do the RAID calculations and management. The I/O queue depth is tiny as well. You'll also need to downgrade the HP VSA driver that runs the B120i controller as new versions of it for some reason cause performance to be terrible.

Edited by GotNoTime

GotNoTime: Thanks a lot for your explanation. In every vid or examples on the net drives where displayed not at all when the driver was not loaded, thats why i was wondering.

I will have a look for the costume images and try again - cheers!

The B120i "RAID controller" is actually the Intel SATA controller but with a HP firmware + HP drivers. If you don't load the HP drivers into the OS during installation then you won't see the RAID drives. For ESXi, you need to use the custom HP image or build your own image from the HP VIBs.

Be aware that the B120i controller has significant performance issues due to the requirement for the ESXi host CPU to do the RAID calculations and management. The I/O queue depth is tiny as well. You'll also need to downgrade the HP VSA driver that runs the B120i controller as new versions of it for some reason cause performance to be terrible.

Just to point out the issue, I spent weeks trying to get the B120i up to speed. I tried absolutely everything possible including building my own .VIB and tweaking the HP drivers. I got it to be respectable but  I couldn't even get it to sustain 1Gbit transfers over SMB shares from another desktop or even VM to VM transfers. They would fail after filling all  RAM on the VM and drop to about 3Mb/s.

The B120i is just not fit for purpose when using it with a Hypervisor of any kind. I replaced the B120i for a P420 I found on ebay with a 512mb BBWC cache and its been smooth as butter during transfers.

GotNoTime: Thanks a lot for your explanation. In every vid or examples on the net drives where displayed not at all when the driver was not loaded, thats why i was wondering.

I will have a look for the costume images and try again - cheers!

If you are using ESXi you will need to load the Windows2008.flp image into a virtual floppy drive and once you get to the HDD selection part of a windows install, point it to that floppy image.

Just be sure to use the HP ESXi images found here : http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/solutions.html?compURI=1499005#tab=TAB4

Edited by Altecice