RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Switching out WHS v1 machine

G. WadeTech

This is my thought...

I would like to switch out my current WHS machine that is a Dell OptiPlex 745 for a OptiPlex 755 that I have by switching the HD from the 745 to the 755 and booting up. I have done this before with Windows 7 and Vista and had no problems. I was wondering if any ones sees any issues that I may be faced with if I do this.

Thanks in advance.

If it's the same mobo with just a different processor, then you probably won't have a problem. Otherwise, you'll may get a BSOD due to the storage drivers. If you are brave, there are solutions for that. :) Or you can just put you old system back together.

If at all possible, back up shares and run BDBB beforehand. Better safe than sorry.

What is the difference between the two processors in those Dells, anyway?

If it's the same mobo with just a different processor, then you probably won't have a problem. Otherwise, you'll may get a BSOD due to the storage drivers. If you are brave, there are solutions for that. :) Or you can just put you old system back together.

If at all possible, back up shares and run BDBB beforehand. Better safe than sorry.

What is the difference between the two processors in those Dells, anyway?

Left = 755 / Right = 745

CPU-Z

Those should be the same boards and only the form factor of the cases is the difference. You might run into an issue where the Graphics cards are different however. Booting into Safe Mode should allow you to investigate.

A straight processor change will not have any effect on the system, I am of course talking about it going hay-wire.

I have changed out my WHS servers processor multiple time, and never had a problem, I have gone from a P4, to Pentium D to Core 2 Duo 2.2 to a C2D 2.8 and not even a burp from the machine.

So assuming that the chipset is the same you should have no problems.

So I tried it out yesterday after I had everything backed up and I got an infinite loop. blink.gif

The server would boot and then attempt to load the OS and then restart. O'well, I put the primary HD back in the 745 and it booted right back up without any issues.

I am going to use the 755 as my VAIL physical test box and will eventually upgrade to the 755 when the final release of VAIL is available.

Thanks for your advice and insight.

SATA ports & processor are the only differences. That is an idea... I will think that over. Thanks.