RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Only OS HDD visible in Win 2012

mdex

I've upgraded from my trusty N36L to a G1610T.

In my N36L i had 4 drives. A 250gb drive used for OS then 2 x 2tb and 1 x 3tb drives for storage. No RAID.

In preparation for moving to the Gen8 I have another 250gb to install the OS on., I installed only the 250gb drive and used intelligent provisioning to install Server 2012. This seemed to go through ok, After migrating DC/AD/DNS/DHCP I removed the data drives from the N36L and installed into the Gen8.

The Gen8 immediately had issues booting, 'recent hardware or software changes'.......

I did multiple reboots with different drives in and out without any luck other than just having the OS drive installed.

Having plugged all the drives in I checked the drives are recognised by the device using the Array Controller Utility.

I then rebooted again with all 4 drives in and it's booting into the OS but the 3 data drives are still not visible.I've been at this far too long today and what should have been a simple couple of hours has ended up scrambling my brain.The drives aren't visible in disk management either!?

In my tiredness am I missing something obvious!? Any help gratefully received but right now It's 23:53 and I'm going to bed.

Thanks in advance.

You reference the ACU, so you are using the B120i. It sounds like you are seeing the physical drives in the ACU, Are you seeing them as logical drives as well?

You reference the ACU, so you are using the B120i. It sounds like you are seeing the physical drives in the ACU, Are you seeing them as logical drives as well?

Morning/Evening,

I reference the ACU as that was just a location I could think of checking to see if they were recognised as being plugged in.

Do I have to use ACU to enable them as logical drives with the new hardware? That's where I'm going wrong then. I'd presumed they'd be recognised without any additional config and I'd only need ACU if setting up RAID.

So if I get this right I have to create an array and then create the logical drives?

Please pardon my ignorance, although I've been running the N36L for many years it's was mainly to teach myself about AD. I've never used RAID before.

Edited by mdex

Actually, I would turn off the B120i and run in AHCI mode if you want it to be like your N36L. As long as you are putting all the drives in the four front bays and don't mind the fan being a little loud it should work fine.

Good night!

Actually, I would turn off the B120i and run in AHCI mode if you want it to be like your N36L. As long as you are putting all the drives in the four front bays and don't mind the fan being a little loud it should work fine.

Good night!

Thanks for the help.

It was simple after all :wacko: