RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bicycling around Indianapolis

Andne

I think this is the right place to post this, it's a bit specific to Meetup this weekend, but isn't really on topic for Meetup.  I'll be coming in Friday evening and leaving Sunday and have been thinking about bringing my bicycle with me so I can ride either Friday afternoon/evening or Sunday morning.  However, I'm having some trouble making sense of the Indianapolis park information, so I can't figure out if there are any good places to ride or not.  Some of the parks are for mountain bikes I think, which I don't have.  Most of the trail routes I can find seem to be really short, as in 2 miles or less.  The best I've found so far appears to be the roads in Eagle Creek Park, which I imagine I could get a good 15-20 miles out of.

I suppose there are two questions I have here - can someone from the area provide any better information on good trail/road rides?  Also, would anyone else either in the area or coming be interested in going for a ride on Friday or Saturday?

Thanks, that looks exactly like what I was looking for.  Looks like several of those trails are interconnected, should be able to go for a nice ride as long as I don't get lost in the process.

Three Sisters

http://binged.it/1NeHOM0​

Yeah, you can ride all the way downtown and beyond if you want.  The canal waterway once downtown isn't the best for riding on but is a neat area to explore. 

PS, unless things have ch​anged, don't go on the Monon too late after dark.  Can be a big dangerous.

Thank you for the advice about a trail and breakfast IndyLux.  It worked out quite well since the trail crosses 86th about 1.5 miles from the hotel, so I just rode from the hotel to the trail and went from there.  I don't think I'd want to that during a weekday, but early morning on the weekend wasn't bad at all.  Saturday morning I rode north and turned around after a while, saw them setting up for farmers market at one place.  Sunday I rode south past the fairgrounds and then stopped at 3 Sisters on the way back.  Breakfast there was very good, had an omelet stuffed full of tasty stuff.

Was definitely a flatter ride than I'm used to, it's quite a challenge to go that far without a decent hill back home.  Did around 20 miles Saturday and 16 Sunday and it looked like there was still plenty of trail left either way.  It was a bit dark out to start riding at 6:30AM Saturday but the timing worked well otherwise for when I got back, and that's why I have lights.