RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot install Win 7 Ultimate on Gen8... Help please!

j_cocker

Received my Gen8 earlier today, and have spend the last few hours trying to install the above - successfully so far... ;-(

All I want is to have 3 HDDs in the machine - 1 x OS + 2 x data. No RAID setup or anything special - I like to have total control of my backups...

What I have done so far is installed a further 8GB of RAM 9total is now 12GB). I also inserted a 250GB HDD in slot one that I wish to install the OS onto. 

My machine has no CD/DVD installed, so I created a bootable USB stick with Win 7 Ultimate on it. I know it's fine, because I used it with another machine.

The installation starts as it should - I click the "Install now", and pretty much immediately I get the dreaded "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk....." error message.  When I click "Browse" the USB stick is there (as is the 250GB HDD), but despite selecting it would not continue and returns to the above error message.

I have looked everywhere on Google, but cannot see how to get around this...

Based on advice online I have so far tried:

- I made sure the stick is in a USB2 port, not 3. I also tried different ports - no change. The stick is always visible though.

- Created a folder on the installation stick with the RAID (B120i) Drivers (2008 R2), cp024078.exe, as suggested here (http://homeservershow.com/installing-windows-7-on-my-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.html)I simply extracted the content of the exe file into a folder, I assume that is correct?  Then when the error appeared I directed the search there. but nothing...

Any idea how to proceed?

Edited by j_cocker

I feel your pain. I'm trying to scrounge together a desktop system after a hardware failure. 7 Ultimate didn't like my eide dvd drives, giving the exact message you got, finally it accepted a sata one. But I am having a hard time understanding how it could be spitting the same baloney on you for a usb drive. If it didn't like the disk/raid I suspect you would get a different error text. Is there some driver for a usb 'simulation' of a dvd?

I feel your pain. I'm trying to scrounge together a desktop system after a hardware failure. 7 Ultimate didn't like my eide dvd drives, giving the exact message you got, finally it accepted a sata one. But I am having a hard time understanding how it could be spitting the same baloney on you for a usb drive. If it didn't like the disk/raid I suspect you would get a different error text. Is there some driver for a usb 'simulation' of a dvd?

Thanks, appreciate your sympathy... :-)

BTW, When you mentioned that you'd eventually managed to install Win7Ultimate, did you connect the DVD drive to the Gen8 via SATA, or was it connected via a SATA-to-USB adapter (connected to one of the USB2 ports on the Gen8)?   

Are you running in AHCI or B120i mode?

I tried with both, ending up with the same error message.

Just curious, how did you mount the ssd in bay1?

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough...

I have a SATA 250GB HDD in bay one (the "free" one that came with my N40L), not an SSD.

Sounds like a classic example of a storage device missing a driver.

I agree.

...but how do I work out which one I need, and where to get it from?