RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WMC AVR w/ Windows 7 Embedded

foy1der

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a W7 Embedded AVR?

• Yes
    • No

So I was staring at my partially defunct receiver and I got to thinking, "why doesn't someone put W7 embedded in an AVR?"

It seems like a no brainer to me. You already have this necessary component for your home theater, why not make it a little more useful? You could easily have USB3 ports on the back for adding storage for recorded TV, or don't and just use it as an extender. Gigabit ethernet port for streaming media from MC PC's. What are your thoughts on this? What features would you like to see? What would you need inside the box before you ditch your HTPC? Do you try to stay away from devices that integrate two products into one like TV/DVD players?

How about something that gives you a choice? You buy your box and then have a choice to Upgrade the device to an extender by new firmware or by purchasing a key that has the license or os that can serve as a media center.

I think it's all about choices and cost. How many features do you include inside 1 case and how much are people willing to pay for it. In order to allow the ability to add features at incremental costs, the hardware might need to already be inside the box. This is a fixed cost whether a user decides to implement it or not.

I don't know if a receiver would be the way to go. Personally I have always thought they should offer a HTPC 360. Make it the size of a HTPC/home theater component and then just add a separate hard drive for recordings along with some tuners. It would still work as an extender, but of course you could also use it to record with.

Personally I do look forward to see what some companies end up doing with W7 embedded, but I am not really holding my breath. I think until the FCC finalizes a solution to replace cable cards I don't know if it will be worth it for companies to develop anything really.

Second big thumbs up for HTPC 360. I can't for the life of me figure out why M$ hasn't been doing this for YEARS. They have a device in everyone's home that could truly be the media portal they dream of . . . and they do it only half way. If they dropped WMC into every x-box the cost would be minimal.

I like M$ products and use them all the time but they just never seem to get across the finish line before they start messing around with a "NEW" idea or product (Zune anyone?).

I think they have corporate Attention Deficit Disorder.