RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
IndyLux

Gave Away the V1 Server

nrf

remember, buzzword-wise you home server is now a "private cloud" :)

if you also have some stuff on 'public cloud' too you have the ever popular "hybrid could".

one risk with public cloud is that the FBI doesn't respect multi-tenancy - if they rip drives out of a data center they don't care that multiple accounts reside on them. the heck with the innocent parties!

• Like 1

darkarn

Whoa, I didn't know that there are such issues with the "cloud" in the US :(

Come to think of it, this is one of the many reasons why I have been working towards getting my "personal cloud" all these years!

But, I am curious though; with the current infosec climate though, am I right to say that it may seem tempting to just use a "public cloud" as it is harder to harden your home server against security threats? Or am I misunderstanding something?

nrf

everything in life seems to involve risks and trade-offs. there are many ways to achieve what you need, and lots of pros and cons to consider. Different people put more or less analysis into those risks.

I for one have not fully embraced the public cloud. I have decided it is fairly safe and very useful to let google keep a copy of all my music but I don't count on it being the only copy. I still curate the originals on my own server in their full ALAC glory.

But when it comes to my family's personal financial documents, I keep them on a local ODMS and cut multiple backup copies periodically which I can store in diverse locations.

as always YMMV!

IndyLux

Whoa, I didn't know that there are such issues with the "cloud" in the US :(

Come to think of it, this is one of the many reasons why I have been working towards getting my "personal cloud" all these years!

But, I am curious though; with the current infosec climate though, am I right to say that it may seem tempting to just use a "public cloud" as it is harder to harden your home server against security threats? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Darkarn - Without diving too deep into the politics, there are those in the US that are suspicious of the government and make a practice of protecting their privacy from the perceived threat.  There are others who tend to make light of issues like this and don't go beyond basic protections to secure their privacy.  It tends to be a bit of a polarizing issue as this thread (unintentionally) attests to.  I would not say being in the US makes being in the cloud any riskier than anywhere else in the world

Drashna Jaelre

Which is to say, whenever you store any information on "The Cloud", that somebody else has access to it. Period.

And while a lot of smarter people may not store important information "in the Cloud", a LOT of people do. In fact, I'd wager to say that a majority of average users store sensitive (financial, work related, personal) files on "The Cloud". 

nrf

smarter isn't necessarily the appropriate adjective. maybe 'wary'....

darkarn

Darkarn - Without diving too deep into the politics, there are those in the US that are suspicious of the government and make a practice of protecting their privacy from the perceived threat.  There are others who tend to make light of issues like this and don't go beyond basic protections to secure their privacy.  It tends to be a bit of a polarizing issue as this thread (unintentionally) attests to.  I would not say being in the US makes being in the cloud any riskier than anywhere else in the world

Good point there, but there are many who are trying to keep a nice balance too. I guess such debates come with the advent of new technology?

jmwills

Nothing in the cloud is safe.  With the recent attacks on the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) where some roughly 25M identities were stolen and the Feds really doing nothing about it, I trust nothing that I don't control.  Hey, if you want to hack my Amazon Music collection, go ahead.

I say the Feds have done nothing, which really isn't exactly true.  The process to keep privileged access is becoming a joke but is typical of the government who "calls the fire department after the house has already burned to the ground".

nrf

Well, we didn't have enough tax money to protect all of our government agents' data but we were able to p3wn the content of every single phone call in another country, intercept routers in transit and plant spy gear in them, steal exploits and stolen data from other hackers, scoop up communications, financial, and medical data on most of our own citizens... aren't we a great nation? our priorities are clearly in the right place!

Edited by nrf

Drashna Jaelre

Well, in the gov't defence: IT (including IT Security) is never a priority for pretty much every business. While some companies actually care about their IT department... a majority don't. They get underfunded, understaffed, and are expected to change everything on a whim (because they aren't doing anything anyways).... 

So that the Gov't does the same really shouldn't be a surprise here at all. 

Politics aside, the push is to put everything into the Cloud. Though, a good question, is how much of that is financially motivated (by things such as Ad revenue).