RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Swap out a drive containing VMs?

Trimble Epic

Team,

I have a 2tb drive on my WSE2012R2 box that is currently solely dedicated to my plex VM...  it's wasting a LOT of space...  that's drive E:

I have installed a 1tb drive that I would like to replace it with as drive I:.  I teracopied everything from the root of E to the root of I (with the vm stopped, of course), and then I used partition manager to swap drive letters from E to G, then from I back to E, and tried to power up the VM...

This failed... i got a message that implied smething about folder permissions... I should have written it down ... (it's been a few days now as I've been pondering this situation).  

Is there something special about copying a VM's folders?  Is it a problem that I used Teracopy instead of built in file copy?(I want verify writes) should I have used export/import to do it?  

I want the VM storage drive on the same drive letter, so how to I slipstream in a replacement drive in under the VM folder without changing the drive letter? 

Yes, it's hyper-v... The problem is that I want the files to end up in the same path, I just want to replace the drive out from under them... So, if I use move, I would need to move off my e: drive, then swap drives so that new new one would be E:, then move the vm again back to that drive.. Sigh. That's what I was trying to avoid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I move to the new drive, then just change the drive letter of the drive and then change the drive letter in hyper-v to find the files again? That would allow me to do it with just one move...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've exported and imported an entire domain consisting of six server with no issues.  Never tried the move command.