RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

itGeeks

On my second day and so far so good.  After they updated the firmware as a precaution I rebooted the AP.  I also deleted and re-connected the wifi just so everything was fresh.  It has been solid and very fast ~180 Mbps/sec which is a record for my iPhone.  If it stays like this I will be a happy camper.  Will post when I get more information.

That is really great news Mike :) Yes please keep us posted.

Jason

This is great news. Was curious whether OM mentioned what specifically made Apple devices more particular? Considering their MR1750 is only device I've ever experienced this connectivity issue with. Also 180 Mbps is fast - how fast is your ISP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcdoc

This is great news. Was curious whether OM mentioned what specifically made Apple devices more particular? Considering their MR1750 is only device I've ever experienced this connectivity issue with. Also 180 Mbps is fast - how fast is your ISP?

They did not mention any specific reasons and I agree with you in that iPhone wifi is typically flawless and i have tested them on dozens of AP and routers with no issues.  As for my ISP, I am on Time Warner Extreme and get 300/20.  It is nice download speed but I wish the upload pipe was bigger.

LoneWolf

They contacted me and have acknowledge there may be an issue.  They uploaded a "beta" firmware to my AP for me to test (Version r586) that is supposed to address some connectivity issues.  I will update in the next few days as to how the new firmware is working out.

Here is the message they had sent me....  I just checked and the AP has been updated.

(CloudTrax)

Sep 20, 2:18 PM

Hi Mike,

Apple devices can be more picky when it comes to WiFi, and not just with our access points. I do have a update for the MR1750 I could push out. It is a test update, and I can't guarantee it'll improve connectivity, but it may be worth trying.

Regards,

Gabriel

This is very true.  iOS 8 had a number of problematic and quirky issues with wireless, especially on 5GHz.  OS X 10.10 systems also had issues.  Apple has had to make multiple fixes to their wireless stack, and it's still up for debate whether they have resolved things.  It was enough to spark several articles on Forbes, and some commentary from several people who have researched the issue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/24/apple-ios-8-4-old-foe/

pcdoc

This is very true.  iOS 8 had a number of problematic and quirky issues with wireless, especially on 5GHz.  OS X 10.10 systems also had issues.  Apple has had to make multiple fixes to their wireless stack, and it's still up for debate whether they have resolved things.  It was enough to spark several articles on Forbes, and some commentary from several people who have researched the issue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/24/apple-ios-8-4-old-foe/

Interesting article.  Can't speak to OS X but of the 8 IOS devices I presently own and the ones I had in the past several years they have been pretty solid.  That said, as with anything it usually is a combination of things that add up to make trouble.  I am optimistic that the convergence of bug fixes between Apple and Open-Mesh will fix my issues.  The one thing I will say is that the tech I am working with now that sent me the firmware is very knowledgeable and responsive so my faith on a resolution is high.  Thanks for sharing the article.

pcdoc

Well I guess I broke out the champagne to early.  Came home today and lost all iPhones but this time my laptop needed convincing to reconnect.  Very sad as I really like this thing.  I reported to them so hopefully I will get another firmware update in the near future but until then I have to shelf this thing till they work out the bugs.

Jason

Sorry to hear. Ever since I set mine to manual channels, things have worked great here.

pcdoc

Sorry to hear. Ever since I set mine to manual channels, things have worked great here.

One thing I just realized that when I got the new firmware, my settings where set back to auto.  I have just manually set the channels and will try one more time...  Keeping my fingers crossed.

itGeeks

Jason I am glad that at least your having good luck with my recommendation, I feel really bad that your both having such a problem with Open-Mesh, I don't have any iOS devices so I would of never known of such trouble. Could you please post what channels you are using so pcdoc can try the same?

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

Jason I am glad that at least your having good luck with my recommendation, I feel really bad that your both having such a problem with Open-Mesh, I don't have any iOS devices so I would of never known of such trouble. Could you please post what channels you are using so pcdoc can try the same?

Since the firmware update and the setting the channels I seem to be doing better.  I am now on day 6 with no issues.  I am using channel 4 and 149.  Keeping my fingers crossed.