RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

itGeeks

First, looks like I needed to put my SSID into bridge mode for both wired clients and wireless. Also it appears it broadcasts on both the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands simultaneously. So I no longer have to create one 2.4 ghz SSID and another 5 ghz SSID like I did with my ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct on all accounts, Just make sure you bridged SSID2 and not SSID1 because SSID1 is your guest network. Glad you got it sorted out. After some time using it please let us all know how its working for you.

Edited by itGEEKS

Jason

Very cool. The Cloudtrax web dashboard is very beneficial. As is the iOS app. Can make nearly every configuration change remotely from the mobile app remotely without being on the LAN. Awesome. Also set each of our laptops' NICs to Roaming Aggressiveness - Highest and 5 ghz Band Preferred and I can walk throughout the house and watch the Mesh coverage at work. Can now witness where the handoff physically occurs without absolutely no impact to client connectivity. Over the winter I may very well add PoE and additional APs as my next project. Great recommendation.

Jason

The other good news is that is does not support the propriatary 12V POE and now uses the standard POEaf standard so I was able to put it into my POE switch and it worked perfectly.

Could you please recommend a good, 12-port PoE switch that would power PoE over all12 ports preferably so I don't have to daisy chains a bunch of other switches together. My intent is to power 3-4 IP cameras and 3-4 MR1750 APs with this single PoE switch. Currently I have a TP-Link 8 port switch, but it seems to have a limited power output that I don't believe is sufficient to power all 8-ports. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6LID0S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qmW6vbN2ATS7C

itGeeks

Could you please recommend a good, 12-port PoE switch that would power PoE over all12 ports preferably so I don't have to daisy chains a bunch of other switches together. My intent is to power 3-4 IP cameras and 3-4 MR1750 APs with this single PoE switch. Currently I have a TP-Link 8 port switch, but it seems to have a limited power output that I don't believe is sufficient to power all 8-ports. Thanks!

How many Watts in total do you need? If you already have a Gigabit switch that can handle all your devices then you could just add something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098SMH4W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1HBFQBZH9MLQ3

pcdoc

That one will certainly do the trick.  I really like that particular switch as it is fan-less.  I am using the TredNet 5 port mainly because most of the POE switches have a fan in them that are obnoxiously loud and I did not need more than 5 ports at the time.  If I had to do it again, I would probably pick the one you did or a similar model without a fan.  As long as they support the af/at standard is should work great.  Let us know if you get it and how it works.

itGeeks

That one will certainly do the trick.  I really like that particular switch as it is fan-less.  I am using the TredNet 5 port mainly because most of the POE switches have a fan in them that are obnoxiously loud and I did not need more than 5 ports at the time.  If I had to do it again, I would probably pick the one you did or a similar model without a fan.  As long as they support the af/at standard is should work great.  Let us know if you get it and how it works.

Sorry that was the wrong one I posted, Have a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENUHQEQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I3SX4NP9AB5URY

The one I posted above is only 10/100 not 10/100/1000 and you need the Gigabit version for the new Open-Mesh AP. Also this is not a switch, You need to connect this to your existing Gigabit Switch so for example if you need 8 POE then you would connect 8 of these ports to 8 ports on your existing switch then the other side of this device provides network and power. Hope I made this clear.

Edited by itGEEKS

itGeeks

Very cool. The Cloudtrax web dashboard is very beneficial. As is the iOS app. Can make nearly every configuration change remotely from the mobile app remotely without being on the LAN. Awesome. Also set each of our laptops' NICs to Roaming Aggressiveness - Highest and 5 ghz Band Preferred and I can walk throughout the house and watch the Mesh coverage at work. Can now witness where the handoff physically occurs without absolutely no impact to client connectivity. Over the winter I may very well add PoE and additional APs as my next project. Great recommendation.

Glad its all working well for you, Thanks for the complement.

Jason

So far am loving the MR1750s.  But I have encountered an annoying issue possibly in the latest firmware fw-ng-r585.  After 3-5 days, my iOS devices can no longer connect to the APs unless I reboot them.  Whereas all other clients (laptops, Nest thermostats, etc.) are able to maintain their wireless connections without issue.  Not sure how iOS clients would be any different, but they apparently are.

itGeeks

So far am loving the MR1750s.  But I have encountered an annoying issue possibly in the latest firmware fw-ng-r585.  After 3-5 days, my iOS devices can no longer connect to the APs unless I reboot them.  Whereas all other clients (laptops, Nest thermostats, etc.) are able to maintain their wireless connections without issue.  Not sure how iOS clients would be any different, but they apparently are.

Hi Jason,

Sorry your having trouble with your iOS clients but based on what you said I feel strongly that its not an Open-Mesh AP problem but rather something going on with your iOS devices, What version of iOS are you running? if its version 8.X.X then have a look at this link: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/fix-ios-8-wifi-problems.html

And This link: http://osxdaily.com/2014/09/22/ios-8-wi-fi-problems-fix/

I had the same problem with my Android devices about 2-3 years ago with an Asus Wireless Router it turned out to be the channel number of the Wireless AP that was the trouble, What channel number is the AP using? Try changing it to something else and see if it fixes it.

Edited by itGEEKS

Jason

Now that you mention it, is possible that it's something like the AP channel. My APs are set to auto channels. My iOS devices are running iOS 9 beta.