RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

Jason

My MR1750 APs arrive this Fri while I'm off. Excited to throw them online. Am hoping this will be a max 30 min project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcdoc

I got my MR1750 today and set it up.  The good news is the setup process is brain dead simple and works really well.  The other good news is that is does not support the propriatary 12V POE and now uses the standard POEaf standard so I was able to put it into my POE switch and it worked perfectly.  The bad news if that none of my Foscam cameras will work with it.  Tried for 2 hours every possible setting and nothing.  Everything else works good but not the cameras.  Created a trouble ticket with Open Mesh and lets see what happened.  If anyone else out there has IP cameras with custom port settings, please post the type and how your have it setup.

itGeeks

I got my MR1750 today and set it up.  The good news is the setup process is brain dead simple and works really well.  The other good news is that is does not support the propriatary 12V POE and now uses the standard POEaf standard so I was able to put it into my POE switch and it worked perfectly.  The bad news if that none of my Foscam cameras will work with it.  Tried for 2 hours every possible setting and nothing.  Everything else works good but not the cameras.  Created a trouble ticket with Open Mesh and lets see what happened.  If anyone else out there has IP cameras with custom port settings, please post the type and how your have it setup.

First let me say congratulations. Thanks for the heads up on the POE, Just goes to show you that everyone needs to check the specs "before" hooking these devices up or else toast. Now I am going to feel like the nurse fresh out of school trying to help the "head surgeon" here but I will give it a whirl. I am a bit confused as to whats not working with the cameras, Are you able to connect the cameras to the wireless network but cant view them? If that's the case just make sure your not connected to the guest network then open "cloud trax" and go to the configuration-> advanced page and make sure the Bridge SSID is active and has the value of SSID 2, that will allow wired and wireless clients see each other. If you have the cameras setup on the guest network because you want it that way then you need to Bridge SSID 1 instead but then defeats the guest access because everyone on your guest network will have access to your local LAN.

Edited by itGEEKS
  • Like 1

itGeeks

First let me say congratulations. Thanks for the heads up on the POE, Just goes to show you that everyone needs to check the specs "before" hooking these devices up or else toast. Now I am going to feel like the nurse fresh out of school trying to help the "head surgeon" here but I will give it a whirl. I am a bit confused as to whats not working with the cameras, Are you able to connect the cameras to the wireless network but cant view them? If that's the case just make sure your not connected to the guest network then open "cloud trax" and go to the configuration-> advanced page and make sure the Bridge SSID is active and has the value of SSID 2, that will allow wired and wireless clients see each other. If you have the cameras setup on the guest network because you want it that way then you need to Bridge SSID 1 instead but then defeats the guest access because everyone on your guest network will have access to your local LAN.

What model Foscam is it? I do have some decommissioned Foscams here that I can test for you after I get my MR1750 next week if you cant get this resolved by then. I used to be a Foscam fan boy but not anymore, There firmware updates are a real PITA if you don't stay current because they make you install each and every other prior update in order to get current, What? :o At least that's the way it was when I dropped them unless that's changed now. Anyway I now use Hikvision 3 and 4MP cameras and they work great, Have a look at my link below-

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp.html?brand=49

One word of caution to anyone that finds these Hikvision cameras nice and wants to purchase any of them, DONT just purchase them from anyone on the internet that includes Amazon & eBay because chances are you will end up with a Chinese region camera with hacked English firmware, What does that mean well it means you cant upgrade the firmware so your stuck with what the camera comes with. If you purchase them from the great people at Nelly's security you will get the US region version every time so firmware updates and a 3 year warranty are not a problem.

Disclaimer: I dont work for Nelly's Security nor do I make any mony from them for my recommendation, They are just a trusted source that I have purchased most of my Hikvision cameras from. Trust me I have been burned two times purchasing these cameras from sites like eBay & Amazon because they are mostly 3rd party sellers in China selling to the US at a very low price and for that low price you get zero warranty because it will cost you an arm & a leg to return them to China and your stuck with the firmware that comes loaded on them, For me no thanks.

pcdoc

What model Foscam is it? I do have some decommissioned Foscams here that I can test for you after I get my MR1750 next week if you cant get this resolved by then. I used to be a Foscam fan boy but not anymore, There firmware updates are a real PITA if you don't stay current because they make you install each and every other prior update in order to get current, What? :o At least that's the way it was when I dropped them unless that's changed now. Anyway I now use Hikvision 3 and 4MP cameras and they work great, Have a look at my link below-

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp.html?brand=49

One word of caution to anyone that finds these Hikvision cameras nice and wants to purchase any of them, DONT just purchase them from anyone on the internet that includes Amazon & eBay because chances are you will end up with a Chinese region camera with hacked English firmware, What does that mean well it means you cant upgrade the firmware so your stuck with what the camera comes with. If you purchase them from the great people at Nelly's security you will get the US region version every time so firmware updates and a 3 year warranty are not a problem.

Disclaimer: I dont work for Nelly's Security nor do I make any mony from them for my recommendation, They are just a trusted source that I have purchased most of my Hikvision cameras from. Trust me I have been burned two times purchasing these cameras from sites like eBay & Amazon because they are mostly 3rd party sellers in China selling to the US at a very low price and for that low price you get zero warranty because it will cost you an arm & a leg to return them to China and your stuck with the firmware that comes loaded on them, For me no thanks.

You sir are my hero.  That was the trick.  Bridging the correct SSID solved it.  Thank you very much.  Apparently their customer service does not know this is what they sent me.  Went through a few back and forth email with no luck.  Not that obvious of a setting until you know about it.  Thanks for pointing that out you saved me from having to return it as I really liked everything about it..

Our nodes self configure their ports based on information in DHCP packets, if you set the IP cameras to DHCP they should work fine.

Regards,

David

itGeeks

You sir are my hero.  That was the trick.  Bridging the correct SSID solved it.  Thank you very much.  Apparently their customer service does not know this is what they sent me.  Went through a few back and forth email with no luck.  Not that obvious of a setting until you know about it.  Thanks for pointing that out you saved me from having to return it as I really liked everything about it..

Our nodes self configure their ports based on information in DHCP packets, if you set the IP cameras to DHCP they should work fine.

Regards,

David

Glad I could help Mike, I look forward to your Blog post about this product. Are using automatic channel selection or did you manually set the channels for the 2.0 and 5 GHz? I had something very strange happen yesterday for the first time, The performance on our Wireless devices dropped and when I went into CloudTrax I saw it selected channel 5 for the 2.4 and channel 47 for the 5GHz both these channels are 20MHz wide and not 40MHz not to mention that using channel 5 on the 2.4 band is a big no no as the only none overlapping channels on the 2.4 band is 1, 6, 11. I am thinking it just may of been a fluke I manually set the channels for now and will give it day or two then set it back to automatic and see what happens.

Edited by itGEEKS

pcdoc

Glad I could help Mike, I look forward to your Blog post about this product. Are using automatic channel selection or did you manually set the channels for the 2.0 and 5 GHz? I had something very strange happen yesterday for the first time, The performance on our Wireless devices dropped and when I went into CloudTrax I saw it selected channel 5 for the 2.4 and channel 47 for the 5GHz both these channels are 20MHz wide and not 40MHz not to mention that using channel 5 on the 2.4 band is a big no no as the only none overlapping channels on the 2.4 band is 1, 6, 11. I am thinking it just may of been a fluke I manually set the channels for now and will give it day or two then set it back to automatic and see what happens.

So far I have let it set it automatically but I am still experimenting.  I have a rather unusual setup right now because I am still testing this and have three different access points within 20 ft so I am looking at worse case interference.  I will look deeper into this as I unplug the other APs in the next couple of days.  Thanks again for the insight on the Open Mesh.

Jason

Just received my MR1750s. Putting the first one online I noticed it has DHCP enabled whereas I am using my WSE12R2 box for DHCP and want to assign these Open-Mesh units static IPs. Is that possible? Also how do you change SSID 1 to 2.4 ghz and SSID 2 to 5 ghz for example?

Jason

First, looks like I needed to put my SSID into bridge mode for both wired clients and wireless. Also it appears it broadcasts on both the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands simultaneously. So I no longer have to create one 2.4 ghz SSID and another 5 ghz SSID like I did with my ASUS RT-AC68U wireless router.

itGeeks

Just received my MR1750s. Putting the first one online I noticed it has DHCP enabled whereas I am using my WSE12R2 box for DHCP and want to assign these Open-Mesh units static IPs. Is that possible? Also how do you change SSID 1 to 2.4 ghz and SSID 2 to 5 ghz for example?

First Congratulations, you can assign the Open- Mesh units a static IP address like any other device on the network, Just enter the MAC address on the DHCP server for the Open-Mesh AP and assign it what ever IP address you want. You cant change SSID 1 to 2.4ghz and SSID 2 to 5 ghz on these access points and y would you want to do that anyway? That is the beauty behind this kind of system, It will select the best band for the device so you don't have to worry about anything. I am afraid you are use to consumer grade products, This is a totally diffident beast.

• Like 1