RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

Jason

Very interesting. I will try this. Placing a single node (AP) in the center of 2nd floor tainted at 45 degrees. We do not have basements here.

Incidentally I currently have one unit now on my 1st floor set at 316 mW - the 2nd to highest setting - and it appears to be covering most of the house and back patio. The moment I increase to highest 400 mW transmit power, the speeds actually diminish completely. Was surprised to learn just how delicate these increments can be.

Unfortunately, when I've tried to place multiple nodes in house turned down to low transmit power, they provide coverage though the throughput when in coverage is low.

armstrr1

I don't believe the orientation is super critical. The 1750 brochure shows its power is distributed fairly evenly in both horizontal and vertical planes. Think of it as a sphere, all points the same radii from center have similar power (barring any barriers).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

a2664c7f7a6b87b54f74a3915eb8b7ef.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by armstrr1

jasons9745

What a nightmare this product has been for me...I have 5 MR1750 access points being used in one of our restaurants. One gateway, the reset repeaters...I have 3 SSID's setup, guest,mgmt and invisible one for our ipads which work with NoWait application. So far, constant crashing...access points offline...the old DNS dashboard error constantly....OpenMEsh support has been abysmal...they claimed bridging one of our SSID's would work, it did not....I setup band steering for the invisible SSID...did not resolve...I tried the alternate DNS config...not working.....My last hope is to have them all setup as gateways to see if that works to resolve the issues. I have contact a local wireless network consulting company and they immediately cringed when I mentioned we were using Open-Mesh and they indicated they see a lot of issues with them and interference in high-density areas like restaurants. We are spending a lot of money to get something working that should be pretty much plug and play from an IT standpoint. Any ideas? Will the gateway idea even work?

Jason

Am sorry to hear this. Though I am running 3 MR1750s in a home environment in rather rural area with minimal interference.

After playing around, I've landed on only 50 mW of radio output per unit and the coverage is solid and devices roam reliably. While there are certainly spots that don't Speedtest at a full 50/10 Mbps, they are few and far between. Worst case these limited areas test at 25/10 Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcom

What a nightmare this product has been for me...I have 5 MR1750 access points being used in one of our restaurants. One gateway, the reset repeaters...I have 3 SSID's setup, guest,mgmt and invisible one for our ipads which work with NoWait application. So far, constant crashing...access points offline...the old DNS dashboard error constantly....OpenMEsh support has been abysmal...they claimed bridging one of our SSID's would work, it did not....I setup band steering for the invisible SSID...did not resolve...I tried the alternate DNS config...not working.....My last hope is to have them all setup as gateways to see if that works to resolve the issues. I have contact a local wireless network consulting company and they immediately cringed when I mentioned we were using Open-Mesh and they indicated they see a lot of issues with them and interference in high-density areas like restaurants. We are spending a lot of money to get something working that should be pretty much plug and play from an IT standpoint. Any ideas? Will the gateway idea even work?

Using OpenMesh in the corporate world. To be exact in the steel industrie with lots of high voltage magnets and in a industrial area with lots interference.

Not even one issue except for a few bugs here and there. Sounds like bad architecture/implementation in your case.

Edited by xcom
  • Like 1

pcdoc

This really seems odd.  Have you tried reversing the gateway and mesh, maybe you have a bad unit.  Besides home, we have deployed in 3 buildings and have not lost a single connection since install.  You definitely have a network issue somewhere.  Though I have never needed to run 5, it does not seem as it should be an issue.

jasons9745

I am wondering if there is something I am missing as far as router/ firewall....all of the nodes seem to lose connection and then speeds go to almost nothing and then eventually reconnect...would this have anything to do with ip allocation and dhcp? If one repeater is outside the others as far as range, could a connection to that repeater cause others to lose connectivity? Would there be any benefit to make them. All gateways connected to betwork still using only one internet connection? Just a note, the pcs and void phones physically connected to network never lose connectivity at any point. Floundering here and open mesh support has done nothing except have me bridge one of the sdids which did nothing...

darton

all of the nodes seem to lose connection and then speeds go to almost nothing and then eventually reconnect...would this have anything to do with ip allocation and dhcp?

what do you mean lose connection; to cloudtrax or your device?

is the ct dash showing yellow/green bars or all green?

are the repeaters all 1 hop to the gateway?

I haven't used the MR1750's yet but have plenty of the OM2P's in production and they work beautifully.

I have a site with 10 om2p repeaters running from 1 gateway. Some with 2 hops, it works fine although isn't optimal, sometimes the repeaters after a power/net outage seem to take a little longer to find the best path to the gateway

jasons9745

what do you mean lose connection; to cloudtrax or your device?

is the ct dash showing yellow/green bars or all green?

are the repeaters all 1 hop to the gateway?

I haven't used the MR1750's yet but have plenty of the OM2P's in production and they work beautifully.

I have a site with 10 om2p repeaters running from 1 gateway. Some with 2 hops, it works fine although isn't optimal, sometimes the repeaters after a power/net outage seem to take a little longer to find the best path to the gateway

Connections are lost to devices. Cloudtrax dash shows yellow to red bars for the speeds between access points when this issue starts. All repeaters are 1 hope from gateway.

pcdoc

I am wondering if there is something I am missing as far as router/ firewall....all of the nodes seem to lose connection and then speeds go to almost nothing and then eventually reconnect...would this have anything to do with ip allocation and dhcp? If one repeater is outside the others as far as range, could a connection to that repeater cause others to lose connectivity? Would there be any benefit to make them. All gateways connected to betwork still using only one internet connection? Just a note, the pcs and void phones physically connected to network never lose connectivity at any point. Floundering here and open mesh support has done nothing except have me bridge one of the sdids which did nothing...

Anything is possible but most likely not.  It would be helpful if you could post (after blocking critical information) your setup screens to see if there is something glaring.  In addition, I would try the following not knowing exactly what your setup is.  

1. Disconnect all your access points except for one gateway and see if the problems continues.  Make sure you delete the other units from cloudtrax.  If it does not, try a different unit and set it as the gateway.  Obviously if one unit does not work, setting up the mesh will not help.  You need to know if it is the gateway/router/configuration that is the issue without the complications of the mesh.

2. If one unit works, try adding one unit at a time and run it for awhile before adding the next unit.  Continue until you see the problem or until everything is reconnected.  Again you need to understand if there is a bad unit, is problematic when you add another unit, or there a defective unit among the bunch.

I still suspect the issue is in the configuration or a bad unit causing you issues as this product may not be fastest but it is extremely stable.  I am sure if you break it down step by step you will find the root cause of your grief. 

• Like 1