RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

Jason

Yes. 6.2 beta expected to allow config of band per SSID.

Jason

What is optimal placement of these OM MR1750 units in a home - both in terms of location and height?

I have 3 units within a 4,500 sq ft area. May be overkill. Am experimenting with only 2 units, however radio strength and location have been a challenge. Even using wifi analyzer it's a bit unclear which SSID and RSSI to check.

If I use only one unit on 2nd floor in center, it isn't adequate to cover entire house and anywhere outdoors. Don't have a suitable central location on 1st floor, so I've been attempting to place one unit on top of table at both far ends of house on 1st floor connected via Ethernet backhaul via gigabit Ethernet.

Seems when radio strength two high they overlap too much and iOS devices don't roam well from one AP to another. If I set radio signal too low, they don't overlap coverage yet their individual AP coverage is too weak.

The exterior of entire home is brick.

pcdoc

What is optimal placement of these OM MR1750 units in a home - both in terms of location and height?

I have 3 units within a 4,500 sq ft area. May be overkill. Am experimenting with only 2 units, however radio strength and location have been a challenge. Even using wifi analyzer it's a bit unclear which SSID and RSSI to check.

If I use only one unit on 2nd floor in center, it isn't adequate to cover entire house and anywhere outdoors. Don't have a suitable central location on 1st floor, so I've been attempting to place one unit on top of table at both far ends of house on 1st floor connected via Ethernet backhaul via gigabit Ethernet.

Seems when radio strength two high they overlap too much and iOS devices don't roam well from one AP to another. If I set radio signal too low, they don't overlap coverage yet their individual AP coverage is too weak.

The exterior of entire home is brick.

Have you tried to reduce the power output to allow for good (but not to much) overlap?

Jason

Pcdoc, yes, I tried without much luck though I think it has as much to do with where my APs are placed.

1-on 1st floor in far corner of house at waist level against an exterior wall (in main living area)

2-in spare, attached garage on other far end of house. I use as a workshop. Added it ceiling level to stream music in there.

3-in a central linen closet, top shelf on 2nd floor to provide coverage on 2nd floor.

All 3 APs using Ethernet backhaul. Currently all 3 are set to 125 mW. Wasn't quite sure how low to go?

pcdoc

Pcdoc, yes, I tried without much luck though I think it has as much to do with where my APs are placed.

1-on 1st floor in far corner of house at waist level against an exterior wall (in main living area)

2-in spare, attached garage on other far end of house. I use as a workshop. Added it ceiling level to stream music in there.

3-in a central linen closet, top shelf on 2nd floor to provide coverage on 2nd floor.

All 3 APs using Ethernet backhaul. Currently all 3 are set to 125 mW. Wasn't quite sure how low to go?

Hard to predict these things based on so many variables.  I would take them all the way to the lowest setting and back into it.  I know you are facing the choice between coverage in all areas and not to much overlap.  The only constructive feedback I have is possibly the location of the first unit.  Without knowing the layout of you house, it sounds like the first unit is off to the side (strictly guessing).  The closer that both are two the center the better as it will be easier to tune the coverage.

armstrr1

I was lucky enough to get excellent coverage installing on main floor...within a kitchen pantry. This central location floods the entire main, upper and lower rooms in a 2800sf house. The ap location is also inline with a window in the back yard and the front (glass) door, so it floods my back pool area, shop, and yard to almost 400 feet away. I obviously have it set to full power.

It wasn't convenient, but i pulled out the pantry, and busted out some drywall to make this all possible. The pantry covers the area so the repair didn't have to be skillful. It's a completely hidden installation with the ap mounted to the top of the cabinet

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pcdoc

I was lucky enough to get excellent coverage installing on main floor...within a kitchen pantry. This central location floods the entire main, upper and lower rooms in a 2800sf house. The ap location is also inline with a window in the back yard and the front (glass) door, so it floods my back pool area, shop, and yard to almost 400 feet away. I obviously have it set to full power.

It wasn't convenient, but i pulled out the pantry, and busted out some drywall to make this all possible. The pantry covers the area so the repair didn't have to be skillful. It's a completely hidden installation with the ap mounted to the top of the cabinet

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great location.  Mine is much the same and mounted mine on the ceiling in the hallway.  Great coverage through the house, garage and much of the backyard.

Jason

Are both of your devices connected via Ethernet? Are you using PoE? I currently don't have PoE run in the house...am limited to where I have outlets for the AC adapter.

Question on PoE. If you use a PoE switch and run a cable from it to another non-PoE switch to the MR1750, does the interim non-PoE switch remove the power from that Ethernet cable run?

Jason

Hard to predict these things based on so many variables. I would take them all the way to the lowest setting and back into it. I know you are facing the choice between coverage in all areas and not to much overlap. The only constructive feedback I have is possibly the location of the first unit. Without knowing the layout of you house, it sounds like the first unit is off to the side (strictly guessing). The closer that both are two the center the better as it will be easier to tune the coverage.

Last night I moved AP #2 to a central location inside a built-in cabinet on our 1st floor and also unplugged AP #3 on the 2nd floor. Finally reduced the radio strength to 18 dBm (60 mW). This seems to have helped somewhat. Now coverage is solid on 1st floor and I no longer have 2 APs overpowering one another. Resulted in symptoms such as long delays to check email on even Gmail. When AP #3 was plugged in, it resulted in even more overlap. Not sure there's a spot for me to add AP #3 that adds value. Even lowering radio strength and using all 3 APs proved to be worse than fewer total APs.

Initially tried to just use AP #3 alone on highest signal strength but it wasn't as effective as I had hoped.

Oddly enough, I also noticed that there's a point of diminishing returns on signal strength based on the environment. Higher radio output doesn't necessarily equate to faster speeds. For example, wireless network speeds could but noticeably better at 24 dBm than 25 dBm. Was a tedious but enlightening exercise.

itGeeks

Over saturating with WiFi is not good as you have seen. I am almost thinking you maybe be off using only 1 MR1750 on the first floor and us the less powerful OM5P-AC in remote aria's not covered by the MR1750, I had my MR1750 installed on the first floor on a table in the corner against the center interior wall and outside wall and on a 45 degree angle using a decorative plate stand such as the one linked below and it covered my entire 3 story house including my entire outside property.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZYMDHO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IK2JQKDB9RZMK

Normally what you want to do is place an access point at about every -70 dBm for good overlap and extending coverage to the next aria. Have a look at the network planning guid and see if that helps you any, It has some good info https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/202405770-Part-3-Placing-Nodes-and-Scaling-the-Network

Here is a quote from the network planning guide and when they say 2nd floor of a multi story in a 3 story house that would be the first floor providing you have a basement, The idea is place the first gateway on the center floor and build-out from there.

"Think vertically in multistory buildings. If you have two or three floors to cover, place the nodes on the second floor. This keeps them centered between the floors where they can provide coverage both above and below. You get all of the coverage with half of the nodes."

• Like 1