RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

NNNM

Nice setup.

Well got home early and tested the band steering.  From what I can see it does not seem to work very well which is probably why it is in beta.  Slows things down quite a bit when I turn on the feature.

I am not having any issues with bandwidth steering, and my coverage is excellent even though I chose to wall mount my APs.

pcdoc

Well I want to withdraw my earlier comment about band steering not functioning correctly.  I think it is working fine and will retest tonight.  Like everything else when something goes wrong, there was the human factor....

I want to withdraw my earlier comment.  I think band steering is working fine.  Like everything else, there was a human factor involved and I had accidentally changed something.  Will test again when I get home.

Jason

pcdoc, do you find that they're making gradual improvements to band steering with each MR1750 firmware?  I found it unreliable in my home environment in 6.1 stable release.  Have not re-enabled it since the release of 6.1.1.  Was just curious.

pcdoc

pcdoc, do you find that they're making gradual improvements to band steering with each MR1750 firmware?  I found it unreliable in my home environment in 6.1 stable release.  Have not re-enabled it since the release of 6.1.1.  Was just curious.

For me the change was not gradual as 6.1 band steering did not work at for my devices.  6.1.1 seems to be very stable and provide a nice overall boost of approx 10 Megs/Sec fully loaded with all my devices (15-17 total devices, 6 of which are 1080P wireless cameras streaming and recording full resolution video 24/7.  As you know, it takes a toll on your wifi when you have a constant stream loading it down. My average speed is 80 on IOS and 90 on my laptop with everything running. I am sure it would do better if I turned everything off an measured but to me that is not how I use it.  I could not be any happier.  I would like to know how many others devices out there can handle a heavy workload and still provide you with good speed and low latency.

itGeeks

The process is easy, just create a separate network in Cloudtrax (such as family and private) and add the AP to it. It only joins when you add it to the same network. As for the 6 SSIDs. I use one for cameras and other devices that need to be bridged to the LAN, one for other devices that I do not want to bridge such as streaming devices, and one for guests. This is on the first AP that is on a primary physical network. On the secondary network (for the kids in the house), I have the same setup. As I manage two physical networks, having an AP on each helps me with the isolation, allows me to provide customer filtering, and keeps things overal more secure.

Interesting, Thanks for the explanation.

alex1002

I purchased a second unit. I noticed this unit is v2. Anyone know the differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppapete

I purchased a second unit. I noticed this unit is v2. Anyone know the differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an International Version and a US Version but don't know about V2.  US version has some firmware restriction that FCC require.

armstrr1

Will this interfere if installed close to a cell phone booster like this?

https://store.weboost.com/products/connect-4g

My cell phone covered sucks in doors and running the cables for the mr1750 and the cell booster at the same time and running them very close is likely.

Thx

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kaia

I am testing with all Apple products; iPhone 6s, MacBook Air (Mid 2013), iPad Air 2.

i-Msmbwrk.jpg

I just did a test sitting right under an MR1750 in my study. I was using my iPhone 6s, and I confirmed that I was using 5GHz. My RSSI was -55 db. My download speed was 65 Mbps and my upload speed was 30 Mbps. I am seeing that speed on all wired APs, and half that speed on the wireless AP.

Here are the speeds (down/up) I get at each AP in the house, with a hard wired computer for comparison.
1. Hardwired office computer: 293, 30
2. Study MR1750: 79, 30
3. Master Bedroom MR1750: 78, 30
4. Kitchen MR1750: 83, 30
5. Piano OM5P-AC (on Wi-Fi): 41, 31
6. Garage OM5P-AC (wired): 64, 30

NNNM - what was the results of your tests / fixes, your "sub-thread" within this thread kind of petered out.

I'm having almost the same issue that NNNM is having, albeit with less AP's, and more bandwidth. I've only got two MR1750's in my home (one upstairs, one downstairs), installed on the ceiling in the middle of the house. 

I recently upgraded from a 25Mbps line to a 1Gbps line, (Sonic Fiber) and started to notice that I can't seem to "get out of" the 2.4ghz spectrum.  

Hardwired: 945 Mbps down, 105 Mbps up.

Sonic Wifi (their gateway): ~250 Mbps down, 95Mbps up.

MR1750: 50Mbps down, 60Mbps up.

now, i'm not so crazy to think that i'm going to get 900Mhz over wifi... but at least being able to match the Sonic speeds would be nice. i think the main difference between the MR1750 and Sonic, is that Sonic broadcasts two channels on with the same name, one ac only, and one b/g/n - i assume that i connect to the ac only one when i get those speeds. it would be nice if OpenMesh / CloudTrax either had configuration to do the same thing, or automated settings to achieve the same thing... maybe I'm just missing the right setting somewhere?

I've been messing with my Radio settings, channels, channel widths ... trying to get the speed up, but i seem to be stuck in max of the 2.4Ghz rate. both AP's are set on channel 6 for 2.4G (20Mhz), and 165 for 5G (40Mhz) (through the Radio menu, i have not overridden them individually yet)

I've even gone as far as creating a new SSID that only the testing machine is connecting to (nothing else) so that it hopefully won't get rate limited by the lowest common denominator. 

I'm testing with a 2015 MacBook Pro, confirmed (through cloudtrax) to be using the 5G rate.

I went so far last night to contact OpenMesh support about the ability to setup a 5G-only channel (so that the 2.4G devices don't slow things down), but the 6.1.1 firmware doesn't support it yet, right? isn't that an expected feature of the 6.2 firmware?

schoondoggy

NNNM - what was the results of your tests / fixes, your "sub-thread" within this thread kind of petered out.

I'm having almost the same issue that NNNM is having, albeit with less AP's, and more bandwidth. I've only got two MR1750's in my home (one upstairs, one downstairs), installed on the ceiling in the middle of the house. 

I recently upgraded from a 25Mbps line to a 1Gbps line, (Sonic Fiber) and started to notice that I can't seem to "get out of" the 2.4ghz spectrum.  

Hardwired: 945 Mbps down, 105 Mbps up.

Sonic Wifi (their gateway): ~250 Mbps down, 95Mbps up.

MR1750: 50Mbps down, 60Mbps up.

now, i'm not so crazy to think that i'm going to get 900Mhz over wifi... but at least being able to match the Sonic speeds would be nice. i think the main difference between the MR1750 and Sonic, is that Sonic broadcasts two channels on with the same name, one ac only, and one b/g/n - i assume that i connect to the ac only one when i get those speeds. it would be nice if OpenMesh / CloudTrax either had configuration to do the same thing, or automated settings to achieve the same thing... maybe I'm just missing the right setting somewhere?

I've been messing with my Radio settings, channels, channel widths ... trying to get the speed up, but i seem to be stuck in max of the 2.4Ghz rate. both AP's are set on channel 6 for 2.4G (20Mhz), and 165 for 5G (40Mhz) (through the Radio menu, i have not overridden them individually yet)

I've even gone as far as creating a new SSID that only the testing machine is connecting to (nothing else) so that it hopefully won't get rate limited by the lowest common denominator. 

I'm testing with a 2015 MacBook Pro, confirmed (through cloudtrax) to be using the 5G rate.

I went so far last night to contact OpenMesh support about the ability to setup a 5G-only channel (so that the 2.4G devices don't slow things down), but the 6.1.1 firmware doesn't support it yet, right? isn't that an expected feature of the 6.2 firmware?

Check with O-M support on throughput limits:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11133-open-mesh-speed/

• Like 1