RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

itGeeks

I appreciate all the help and I now understand the Cloudtrax GUI which takes a few days to navigate.  Can't help myself and have ordered a second MR1750 for the second room which is not strictly needed but I want try the MESH.

You are welcome, I am glad you got a handle on it. Now that you have the best channels set for both the 2.4 and 5GHz please go back and set it back to automatic and let Cloudtrax manage them from here on out, You will need to do that anyway before you install the 2nd unit. You may also have to play with the transmit power setting after you install the 2nd unit in order to get 'client hand-off' working correctly.

There are 2 options for getting clients to use the proper band,

1st some wireless NIC's have a setting called something like 'preferred band'.

2nd is to enable 'bandsteering' in Cloudtrax, Enabling this will have mixed results so testing is need. Rite now till OM releases the 6.2 beta this is an all or nothing meaning its on for every device, When 6.2 beta hits you should have the option to only enable 'bandsteering' for some devices y other devices don't use it.

Good luck...

Edited by itGeeks

Jason

I just set CloudTrax radio into auto mode. It self selects channels/freq by band between multiple APs in the house. Is that effective or should I be using Wifi Analyzer to override and select manually?

itGeeks

I just set CloudTrax radio into auto mode. It self selects channels/freq by band between multiple APs in the house. Is that effective or should I be using Wifi Analyzer to override and select manually?

I would personally leave it in auto and more so if you have multiple units. In my testing OM does a good job managing the channels. You can forget about the 2.4GHz band as that changes multiple times a day and OM only updates the channels once per day when maintenance runs, I do wish OM would update the channels dynamically and maybe that will come in the future but still OM does a good job. Save yourself the stress of have to mange this manually and leave it auto. If you want to run WiFi Analyzer just for knowing where your at then do it but don't drive yourself crazy with it. The most inportent thing to test is your internet speed and file copy speed, If the performance is good then call it good no matter what any WiFi Analyzer says.

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

I appreciate all the help and I now understand the Cloudtrax GUI which takes a few days to navigate.  Can't help myself and have ordered a second MR1750 for the second room which is not strictly needed but I want try the MESH.

Cant think of a better justification.. :D

It should work well.  I got into the manual thing mainly because I was trying to optimize and early versions of the firmware were not as good in the auto channel selection.

itGeeks

Cant think of a better justification.. :D

It should work well.  I got into the manual thing mainly because I was trying to optimize and early versions of the firmware were not as good in the auto channel selection.

It does work very well, Just wish it was real-time and not only run once a day with maintenance.

Poppapete

WOW. Adding the second device was a breeze and within an hour it had upgraded the firmware to 6.1 and configured itself to match the first one. It was completely automatic after I entered its MAC into Cloudtrax,  Very impressive. By the way UT sends me an email to let me know another device (with MAC address) has connected to my network just in case I didn't know.

itGeeks

WOW. Adding the second device was a breeze and within an hour it had upgraded the firmware to 6.1 and configured itself to match the first one. It was completely automatic after I entered its MAC into Cloudtrax,  Very impressive. By the way UT sends me an email to let me know another device (with MAC address) has connected to my network just in case I didn't know.

Thanks for the update, Glad your impressed. Yes Open-Mesh rocks! I am missing my Untangle/Open-Mesh setup in favor of trying Luma but I am probably going to get that all setup again soon though I have to get a silent computer to install Untangle on because I moved last month into a small apartment with no basement and I had Untangle installed on a VM on a loud Suppermicro 1U supper server and that won't fly here with the boss. Don't forget to check client hand-off, You may have to adjust the transmit power to get the best results ;)

pcdoc

Yeah, it does take the pain out of it.  You may of already done so but did you compare you speed pre and post the creation of the mesh network?  I have two devices but they are not meshed as I needed 6 SSID's so I am curious about performance.

Poppapete

Yeah, it does take the pain out of it.  You may of already done so but did you compare you speed pre and post the creation of the mesh network?  I have two devices but they are not meshed as I needed 6 SSID's so I am curious about performance.

Doc,

I will wait 48 hours + so that the maintenance thing can have a 2 goes and then test and report back. I have my maintenance set at 2 pm rather than 2 am because I am using the wifi at night on wifi radios listening to USA stations (NPR and Bloomberg) which of course is daytime in USA me being in Australia ( I am an insomniac).

pcdoc

Doc,

I will wait 48 hours + so that the maintenance thing can have a 2 goes and then test and report back. I have my maintenance set at 2 pm rather than 2 am because I am using the wifi at night on wifi radios listening to USA stations (NPR and Bloomberg) which of course is daytime in USA me being in Australia ( I am an insomniac).

Thanks.  Look forward to hearing about it.