RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

itGeeks

Poppapete

I've developed a strange problem with my Open-Mesh network. I have 3 MR1750s with ethernet backhaul, 1 OM5P-AC with ethernet backhaul, and 1 OM5P-AC using wi-fi. I used to get about 130 Mbps download speed on this network (with hard wired speeds of closer to 180 Mbps). Recently I upgraded my internet download speed to 250 Mbps without making any changes to my Open-Mesh network. My hard wired computer is seeing close to 300 Mbps download speed now. But my Open-Mesh wi-fi network has slowed down considerably; I'm seeing in the ballpark of 50-80 Mbps download speeds (half as fast as I used to see). Can anyone help me sort out this problem? Open-Mesh tech support has not been very helpful to this point.

Well there you have it.  I get 300's over ethernet and 30's over my WIFI with OM.  I have no idea what I should get over my OM to a Surface 3 pro  measured with "LAN SPeed TEST" over my LAN to a Server with 2 NIcs on the Server Teaming to the switch.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• pcdoc

• Jason

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The title says it all, I am a big fan of Open-Mesh I have been running one of there MR900 AP for about 1 1/2 to 2 years now and its been rock solid. I have this unit installed on the first floor of my

First let me say congratulations. Thanks for the heads up on the POE, Just goes to show you that everyone needs to check the specs "before" hooking these devices up or else toast. Now I am going to fe

First Congratulations, you can assign the Open- Mesh units a static IP address like any other device on the network, Just enter the MAC address on the DHCP server for the Open-Mesh AP and assign it wh

I will make one general observation based on this thread (and others) that a majority of problems that people are encountering are with a mixed Wifi network (multiple brands and APs).  The output power of the MR 1750 is pretty high and "most" applications you only need one.  If you have a situation that require more than one, then as Jason mentioned, make sure that you tune your output and channels to avoid to much battling for air space.  Overlapping especially with with channels can impact your performance and cause many issues.  Based on past experiences, I personally would avoid trying to mix brands on your networks.  I would disable other Wifi routers/AP and build out using the OM as it is easier to setup and control and your chances of success are much greater.  Not saying it you are guaranteed no issues but your chances of success are much better.  There should not be but there are enough differences in radios that it can cause issues when using to many variables.  Just my two cents...

itGeeks

O my, I am sorry your having trouble with OM but trust me the Mr1750's are great performing, I had one in on the first floor of my 3 story house and it covered all 3 floors including all my property outside front & back so please try and relax a bit, There could be several reasons y you MR1750 is not working well at this point. I have several questions for you that may lead to moor questions based on you answers so please bear with me. As Jason said Open-Mesh support is excellent but I would not contact them yet.

You say you setup the MR1750 with Ethernet backhaul, How many MR1750's do you have?

Just the one.

Are you on the latest firmware?

Was on 5.9 and have changed to 6.1 as I type this.

How long have you had the OM system up and running?

2 days

What is the make and model of the devices you are testing performance from?

I am using an app on my Galaxy S7E called WIFI analyser and LAN Speed Test on Surface Pro3

Did you have your Asus RT-N66U powered on when you where testing Open-Mesh?

Yes

What tools are you using for testing OM?

See previous

What kind of building materials is your apartment made of?

Solid Brick

How do you have OM mounted?

At present just sitting on a cabinet in the lounge (Cabinet has cable box, Xbox360 and Sony TV)

How many sqft is your apartment?

2400 sqft

Do you have bandsteering activated?

No

Do you have the channel selection on auto or did you set a channel?

Auto.

In my Office where Asus is located I get  Asus on CH6 (2.5) reading -40 dBm and OM on CH149 (5.0) reading -70 dBm

In Lounge where MR1750 is located I get Asus reading -49 dBm and OM reading -43 dBm

These reading done before firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the info. 1st let me say I concur with what pcdoc says but wanted to respond to your response to my questions. 1st let me say its great you are now on the 6.1 firmware as there have been many fixes and added features since the 5.9 firmware so that in its self will help what you are seeing at first. I am thinking that now that your on 6.1 you are probably having better performance now? That said there is more work to do and I have more questions and recommendations below.

Is your Asus wireless router your main router or are you using something else for the main router on your network?

When you tested the performance of OM did you disable the WiFi on the Asus wireless router? If not you need to disable it or it will cause problems with WiFi performance.

What wireless channel is OM running on for the 2.4 GHz band? From my experience the default is a overlapping channel and that's not good, I think the default channel was something like channel 5 and in most cases that's bad. Please make sure the 2.4 GHz band is set to a none-overlapping channel of 1, 6 or 11 and nothing else, If its something other then change the channel from auto to manual and set it according to what I said 1,6, or 11. Your WiFi analyzer should give you the recommended channel to set it on.

Are you saying your interior walls are brick? I need to no what the interior walls are made of, Not the building itself.

There are other settings we can tweak but I want us to get a handle on the above 1st.

itGeeks

I will make one general observation based on this thread (and others) that a majority of problems that people are encountering are with a mixed Wifi network (multiple brands and APs).  The output power of the MR 1750 is pretty high and "most" applications you only need one.  If you have a situation that require more than one, then as Jason mentioned, make sure that you tune your output and channels to avoid to much battling for air space.  Overlapping especially with with channels can impact your performance and cause many issues.  Based on past experiences, I personally would avoid trying to mix brands on your networks.  I would disable other Wifi routers/AP and build out using the OM as it is easier to setup and control and your chances of success are much greater.  Not saying it you are guaranteed no issues but your chances of success are much better.  There should not be but there are enough differences in radios that it can cause issues when using to many variables.  Just my two cents...

Agreed, Its unclear if he disabled the Asus WiFi radios so I just responded to him with the same. Good advice pcdoc. I believe he either has a bad unit or something in his environment causing the performance trouble, I am willing to bet its the later.

Poppapete

Thanks for the info. 1st let me say I concur with what pcdoc says but wanted to respond to your response to my questions. 1st let me say its great you are now on the 6.1 firmware as there have been many fixes and added features since the 5.9 firmware so that in its self will help what you are seeing at first. I am thinking that now that your on 6.1 you are probably having better performance now? That said there is more work to do and I have more questions and recommendations below.

Is your Asus wireless router your main router or are you using something else for the main router on your network?

I have a 100/40 fibre connection to a non wireless commercial router ( TL-ER5120) > UT Box (Bridge Mode) > 24 Port Managed Switch (TL-SG3424). The AP is connected to this switch (All Cat 6 cabling in my apartment).

When you tested the performance of OM did you disable the WiFi on the Asus wireless router? If not you need to disable it or it will cause problems with WiFi performance.

After reading the Doc's response I have disconnected the RT-N66U, turned it off.  This improved readings slightly.

What wireless channel is OM running on for the 2.4 GHz band? From my experience the default is a overlapping channel and that's not good, I think the default channel was something like channel 5 and in most cases that's bad. Please make sure the 2.4 GHz band is set to a none-overlapping channel of 1, 6 or 11 and nothing else, If its something other then change the channel from auto to manual and set it according to what I said 1,6, or 11. Your WiFi analyzer should give you the recommended channel to set it on.

I have channel selection as auto and I am getting CH 10 for 2.5 and CH 161 for 5GHz. Should I manually change these?

Are you saying your interior walls are brick? I need to no what the interior walls are made of, Not the building itself.

All internal walls are solid brick but both AP's have to negotiate these.  The Asus does have 3 external rotatable aerials which the OM does not!!!!

There are other settings we can tweak but I want us to get a handle on the above 1st.

I appreciate your time and effort.  These are my readings.

1. In the same room as MR1750 -44 dBm  on 2.5 and  -48 on 5.0 band.

2. in next room -79 dBm  on both 2.5 and 5.0 bands

I only use the wifi for our mobile(cell) phones, 3 internet radios beside our beds and a guest SSID so I don't need much as the whole place is wired to the devices that stream and need bandwidth.  I was just expecting the MR1750 to outperform the RT-N66U.  Maybe it was just really good with its 3 external  aerials.  As I said before I just LOVE the Cloudtrax 4 interface.

itGeeks

I appreciate your time and effort.  These are my readings.

1. In the same room as MR1750 -44 dBm  on 2.5 and  -48 on 5.0 band.

2. in next room -79 dBm  on both 2.5 and 5.0 bands

I only use the wifi for our mobile(cell) phones, 3 internet radios beside our beds and a guest SSID so I don't need much as the whole place is wired to the devices that stream and need bandwidth.  I was just expecting the MR1750 to outperform the RT-N66U.  Maybe it was just really good with its 3 external  aerials.  As I said before I just LOVE the Cloudtrax 4 interface.

Great so now the Asus is completely turned off. I wan't to ask you how units are in your apartment building? I only ask because you no every Tom, Dick & Harry has WiFi.

Now regarding the channels you have provided, Yes you are going to want to change the channel the 2.4GHz band is using, I can't for the life of me figure out y Open-Mesh sets the default for a new installation to an overlapping channel like 10, There are only three none-overlapping channels for the 2.4GHz band and that is 1, 6, 11 so what I would like you to do is change the 2.4GHz channel from 10 to 6 NOT 6+. and y you are there also change the Transmit Power from 'use country settings' to 19dBm (80mW), This will help in a dense environment with lots of WiFi. We can always raise this if needed. As for the 5GHz channel change that to 149+, The reason I say change the 5GHz channel number is because 161 is running 20MHz narrow instead of 40MHz wide and is cutting your speed in half.

Thanks for the dBm numbers that helps allot to understand y your complaining, I am not as concerned with the numbers in your 1st room as the 2nd room. Best practice is not to have a reading higher then -70 dBm at the furthest aria your trying to cover, If you need to cover more aria you would place a 2nd WAP @ -70 dBm to give you nice overlap and extend you further. Lets just focus on room 1 wireless strength for now, The speed and room 2 we will deal with later after we clear room 1. For now please make the changes I noted above then make sure OM reboots and check that all devices are using channel 6 for 2.4GHz band and 149+ for 5GHz band and please report back with your findings to the new settings including the dBm numbers. Hang in there if your trouble is not hardware related (I don't think it is) we should be able to get you sorted. :) The only concern I have is your concrete walls to that 2nd room but like I said we can deal with it after room 1 is sorted.

One last question for now, Is the MR1750 standing up in a none obstructed way? I had mine sitting in a corner of my living room on a plat stand tilted on a 45 degree angle much like you would see a satellite dish using one of these stands- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZYMDHO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IK2JQKDB9RZMK

I look forward to your response.

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

I've developed a strange problem with my Open-Mesh network. I have 3 MR1750s with ethernet backhaul, 1 OM5P-AC with ethernet backhaul, and 1 OM5P-AC using wi-fi. I used to get about 130 Mbps download speed on this network (with hard wired speeds of closer to 180 Mbps). Recently I upgraded my internet download speed to 250 Mbps without making any changes to my Open-Mesh network. My hard wired computer is seeing close to 300 Mbps download speed now. But my Open-Mesh wi-fi network has slowed down considerably; I'm seeing in the ballpark of 50-80 Mbps download speeds (half as fast as I used to see). Can anyone help me sort out this problem? Open-Mesh tech support has not been very helpful to this point.

What is the make/model of the wireless device your using for testing the speed?

What band is your device using when doing a speed test?

What channel number is that band set to?

Are you seeing the same results when your connected to all the AP's no matter if using Ethernet backhaul or wireless mesh?

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

Play around with the radio signal power. Also contact OM Tech Support. They are very insightful and knowledgeable about this product line not to mention responsive. I had issues where my APs were too powerful to facilitate the expected mesh handoff throughout the house. They suggested radio changes to weaken the individual radio signals resulting in an immediate improvement for all connected clients. I find it hard to believe an ASUS router outperforms OM. I suppose anything is possible.

Jason could you please provide your final 'transmit power setting' you used to fix your client handoff trouble? This is not the same trouble poppapete is having but a lower power setting will help in a 'dense environment' For some reason I can never find your post with the response from OM tech support regarding the recommended TX settings. I think it was 19dBm (80mW) but I could be wrong.

itGeeks

Sure. This should be the thread with recommended radio transmit power settings:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10447-luma-wifi-security-and-eero/page-10#entry113375

Jason thanks allot. My recommended trial setting for poppapete maybe a bit light then but that's OK we can always fatten it up later if needed after we get the signal strong and stable in the 1st room where the MR1750 is installed.

I just bookmarked your like for future B)

Edited by itGeeks