RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

itGeeks

Do these WR1750 units support "zero handoff"? Their site doesn't say. And Ubiquity's AP AC do not yet. Supposedly will with upcoming firmware but their forums filled with many frustrated users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do support "zero handoff" though I have not tested it because I only needed one. As for the whole Ubiquity thing I know what your talking about, You can add me to the frustrated user list as well. They have been talking about adding support for it for ages it seems and the performance of them was horrid for me, After testing three different units I gave up.

Edited by itGEEKS

itGeeks

itGEEKS: Considering your dislike of cloud storage and cloud services in general from the Windows 10 thread, I'm surprised that you're using a cloud managed WiFi system.

The Open-Mesh system seems to be a cheaper equivalent of what Meraki aka Cisco is trying to do with cloud management but without the requirement of a subscription. As with Meraki, what happens if Open-Mesh goes under or decides that your APs are too old? Do your WiFi APs turn into paperweights? I've had to do full upgrades of sites using Cisco APs because the old APs aren't supported in a new WLC but new APs also aren't supported in the old WLC.

I've personally gone for Ubiquiti UniFi APs as they're centrally managed without a subscription fee but the management software is run by yourself. You have full control over it and it doesn't require accessing any manufacturer provided services. There is no requirement that the controller be actually onsite either. You can run multiple sites off a single controller instance that you're running and it can even be in a VM.

First lets start this out by not fogging the air with assumptions, I never said I don't like cloud services. -----To be continued when I get back home-----

Jason

I've ordered a single MR1750 unit yesterday.  Now wish I had a second unit.  May try to call tomorrow and update my order.  Will probably just hide these units inside existing cabinets vs. wall/ceiling mounting.  Also am not using PoE in my home environment for any devices yet.

I'm also one of the early pre-orders for the upcoming Eero home mesh access points.  Am curious how they will compare to Open-Mesh.

itGeeks

I've ordered a single MR1750 unit yesterday.  Now wish I had a second unit.  May try to call tomorrow and update my order.  Will probably just hide these units inside existing cabinets vs. wall/ceiling mounting.  Also am not using PoE in my home environment for any devices yet.

I'm also one of the early pre-orders for the upcoming Eero home mesh access points.  Am curious how they will compare to Open-Mesh.

Congradulations on your purchase. I did not mount my unit either, Mine is in the corner of my living room on a corner table behind a 7' tall fake tree sitting on one of these http://www.display-world.com/folding-counter-easel-plastic-basegb-1pl.html

Please post back after you get it setup and let us know how its performing. I here that the ship date for Eero got pushed to sometime in the fall, I cant wait to see some reviews on these units. I have a use case for two of them when they come out if there any good. 

Edited by itGEEKS

Jason

I certainly will post feedback on Eero if (when?) they finally ship. Am losing my patience which prompted me to order a MR1750. Also, I have to believe the Open-Mesh units are more enterprise grade at the price point.

With a large 2-story home (no basement) and yard, would you suggest placing one unit near the enter of each floor? Or one unit upstairs to cover 1st and 2nd floors? Or one on 1st floor (primary coverage area) and the other outside on patio? Trying to get an early sense of just how much better these pro grade hardware devices really are?

itGeeks

I certainly will post feedback on Eero if (when?) they finally ship. Am losing my patience which prompted me to order a MR1750. Also, I have to believe the Open-Mesh units are more enterprise grade at the price point.

With a large 2-story home (no basement) and yard, would you suggest placing one unit near the enter of each floor? Or one unit upstairs to cover 1st and 2nd floors? Or one on 1st floor (primary coverage area) and the other outside on patio? Trying to get an early sense of just how much better these pro grade hardware devices really are?

Jason I did a lot of work today to survey my property today to try and give you some useful information, Let me also tell you that I am not a blogger and my writing skills are not great but I am going to try and put everything in words that I hope you don't get confused. First off what works for me may not work for you, I only have the Open-Mesh MR-900 unit so I have no hands on with there new MR-1750 unit. Let me try and explain my home environment to you and how the one MR-900 is working for me but mileage may vary. I have a 2400 sqft home sitting on a 5,723 sqft piece of property with a detached garage, I did several tests all around my home as well as outside for you as to the coverage this one single MR-900 AP is doing as for performance, Here is the breakdown of the results below--

I use a piece of software called inSSIDER for some of my test, Its offered in Windows, and Android http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

Android version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metageek.inSSIDer&hl=en

The signal at the rear corner of my property by my garage is reporting on my Android phone a good signal and inSSIDer is reporting -70 dBm for signal strength, That's about 71' from the access point threw 3 walls, The next reading is from my driveway furthest front corner from the AP and Android is reporting a very strong signal and inSSIDer is reporting -65 dBm, This location is about 57' from the access point and threw 3 walls, On the first floor on the inside of my house where the access point is located I get a single strength of very good reported by Android and inSSIDer is reporting a signal strength of -10 to -45 depending where I am when doing my testing, In my basement Android is reporting a good signal and inSSIDer is reporting a signal strength of -64dBm, My second floor Android is reporting a very strong signal and inSSIDer is reporting a signal strength of -25 to -45 dBm. So what does all this mean well if I was looking to cover any more aria with my wireless the I would need to add at least one more access point, I am at the limits with this AP. Not inside but outside coverage will suffer if I have anymore sqft that I want to cover. General rule of thumb is you don't want the signal to drop below -70 dBm or you need to add a access point at that spot to give you overlap and extend your wireless coverage further. Have a look at this link https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us

and have a look at the three network planning guides this is some very useful information. In short if your house and property is allot bigger then mine and your looking to cover it with Wireless then you yes your going to need at least two or maybe three of these to cover your aria, Also note my testing was mostly with the 2.4 band and not 5.0, The 2.4 will give you the most distance. You need to survey your environment using a WiFi analyzer such as the one i use in order to get a true picture of whats going on in your environment, That's the only way, I am sorry I cant tell you whats going to work for you because everyone's environment is different

I hope this helps....

Edited by itGEEKS

pcdoc

Congratulations Mike, I look forward to your blog post about them. It would be really great to get Open-Mesh PCDoc approved :)

I am sure it will be good if you had good luck with them.  We share the same miserable luck with the Ubiquiti AP.  They are the biggest pieces of junk I have tried to date.  Really look forward to a couple of AP that I do not have to tune, adjust, and manually configure.

itGeeks

I am sure it will be good if you had good luck with them.  We share the same miserable luck with the Ubiquiti AP.  They are the biggest pieces of junk I have tried to date.  Really look forward to a couple of AP that I do not have to tune, adjust, and manually configure.

Talking about configuration, The one new feature that CloudTrax 4 has added that I was waiting on is "Automatic Channel Selection" Prior that this being added I was chasing my 2.4 channels all the time. I live in a very dens neighborhood and the houses are very close and it seems everyone and there brother including the dog uses wireless but now I am happy to report that this is working great. Also you should use this link to setup CloudTrax because its the new v4 https://ct4.cloudtrax.com/login

Introducing CloudTrax 4: Here's what's new: https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/204744674-Introducing-CloudTrax-4-Here-s-what-s-new

If you setup your wifi network at this default link of http://cloudtrax.com it will be the old version 3 without the added new features. One last thing, You don't need to wait to create your account and setup your network you can do all that now then when you get the new AP all you have to do is add the MAC address to your newly created network in CloudTrax and you up and running.

Edited by itGEEKS

Jason

Odd. I unknowingly setup a cloudtrax.com account before becoming aware of Cloudtrax 4. Now now matter what I do, I'm unable to reset the password for CT4 and login. Not your problem; to tech support I go :-)

itGeeks

One word of warning for anyone wanting to use PoE to power these devices, It does not use the standard 48v PoE it uses 18v so be careful or you will watch your brand new AP go up in smoke.

http://www.open-mesh.com/products/power-and-poe.html

Edited by itGEEKS