RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Open-Mesh Has Released the New MR1750 Dual Band 802.11ac Access Point

petersd
Hello.

I'm a new Open Mesh user. I have purchased 5 MR1750 units.  I have been having a lot of problems with the network repeatedly and randoming preventing Internet access to clients that have successfully connected to the network and authenticated. The problem appears to consistently coincide with the access point reporting the errors:  "Can't resolve controller DNS!" and "Can't resolve alternate controller DNS!"

My network is configured as follows:

The first access point is setup as a gateway. It is connect to a Zywall 100 firewall router via PoE cable, and gets dynamically assigned an IP address (192.168.1.***). The Zywall router is in turn connected to a Netgear GS105Ev2 switch, which is connected to an Arris SB6183 cable modem to my ISP, Cox cable.

The other MR1750 access points all act as repeaters. The four repeaters are connected to the gateway in a star configuration over the air. All access points are placed outdoors in unobstructed line of sight of about 75 feet apart. There is only one hop between each repeater and the gateway.

The mesh network usually starts out just fine and shows strong Mesh Speed and no issues. But every hour or so suddenly one or two of the repeaters start to report "Can't resolve controller DNS!" and "Can't resolve alternate controller DNS!" At that point the entire mesh network starts to break down.

The mesh speeds for repeaters drops from 10-30 Mbps to a 100-200 Kbps. Clients throughout the network still appear connectd, but can no longer get routed to any Internet sites. Clients get DNS resolution errors.

After another hour, the network will resolve the issue itself, but during that down time, no one has Internet access. The network will then run for another hour or so before repeating the same problem with the controller DNS issues.

On the Cloud Trax control panel, under "Config > SSID 1> Advanced > Alternate DNS" I have entered 8.8.8.8 Under "Config > Advanced > Alternate Servers > Alternate DNS" I have entered 8.8.8.8. The Zywall DCHP server to which the Gateway is connected uses these DNS servers for DHCP clients: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. 

My radios are manually set to Channels 1 (2.4GHz) and 36+ (5GHz). I am transmitting power at 24dBm(250mW).

I have opened a trouble ticket with Cloud Trax, but so far no solution they've provided has worked. For instance, originally my firmware was 587, but they've downgraded it 585 to see if that would solve the problem, which it hasn't.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the issue?

pcdoc

Hello.

I'm a new Open Mesh user. I have purchased 5 MR1750 units.  I have been having a lot of problems with the network repeatedly and randoming preventing Internet access to clients that have successfully connected to the network and authenticated. The problem appears to consistently coincide with the access point reporting the errors:  "Can't resolve controller DNS!" and "Can't resolve alternate controller DNS!"

The first access point is setup as a gateway. It is connect to a Zywall 100 firewall router via PoE cable, and gets dynamically assigned an IP address (192.168.1.***). The Zywall router is in turn connected to a Netgear GS105Ev2 switch, which is connected to an Arris SB6183 cable modem to my ISP, Cox cable.

The other MR1750 access points all act as repeaters. The four repeaters are connected to the gateway in a star configuration over the air. All access points are placed outdoors in unobstructed line of sight of about 75 feet apart. There is only one hop between each repeater and the gateway.

The mesh network usually starts out just fine and shows strong Mesh Speed and no issues. But every hour or so suddenly one or two of the repeaters start to report "Can't resolve controller DNS!" and "Can't resolve alternate controller DNS!" At that point the entire mesh network starts to break down.

The mesh speeds for repeaters drops from 10-30 Mbps to a 100-200 Kbps. Clients throughout the network still appear connectd, but can no longer get routed to any Internet sites. Clients get DNS resolution errors.

After another hour, the network will resolve the issue itself, but during that down time, no one has Internet access. The network will then run for another hour or so before repeating the same problem with the controller DNS issues.

On the Cloud Trax control panel, under "Config > SSID 1> Advanced > Alternate DNS" I have entered 8.8.8.8 Under "Config > Advanced > Alternate Servers > Alternate DNS" I have entered 8.8.8.8. The Zywall DCHP server to which the Gateway is connected uses these DNS servers for DHCP clients: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. 

My radios are manually set to Channels 1 (2.4GHz) and 36+ (5GHz). I am transmitting power at 24dBm(250mW).

I have opened a trouble ticket with Cloud Trax, but so far no solution they've provided has worked. For instance, originally my firmware was 587, but they've downgraded it 585 to see if that would solve the problem, which it hasn't.

Have you tried not putting anything in the alternate servers so that it only uses the default?

Just curious, Does it provide new features?

To be honest, I did not see much other than some layout differences however I am running the beta.  Will have to see when the final version comes out.

petersd

Have you tried not putting anything in the alternate servers so that it only uses the default?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried that yet, but it seems like a good idea. So I will now delete all the alternate servers from the dashboard under Configure > SSID > Alternate DNS and Configure > Advanced > Alternate DNS, so that those fields are empty. The network should just pull the DNS from the firewall router, which is set to 8.8.8.8 (primary) and 8.8.4.4 (secondary).  I'll give it a go for a couple days and report back.

If that fails, I may then try updating to firmware version 6 (beta). Any downsides to that beta?

pcdoc

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried that yet, but it seems like a good idea. So I will now delete all the alternate servers from the dashboard under Configure > SSID > Alternate DNS and Configure > Advanced > Alternate DNS, so that those fields are empty. The network should just pull the DNS from the firewall router, which is set to 8.8.8.8 (primary) and 8.8.4.4 (secondary).  I'll give it a go for a couple days and report back.

If that fails, I may then try updating to firmware version 6 (beta). Any downsides to that beta?

For me there have been only upsides.  I did not see anywhere where I lost anything or had any issues.

itGeeks

As pcdoc said and I agree don't manually set the DNS settings on the AP's, In your case there is no need to. Just let the AP's get all the IP info from your DHCP server. I would also try setting the channel to automatic instead of setting the channel number yourself unless there some technical reason your doing this, That works really well for me. Are all the clients having the same problem? What type of clients are we talking about? 

Please report back and let us know how it works...

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

Hello.

Completely unrelated to you trouble (maybe) but how did you determine that 75 feet apart was the ultimate placement for each AP?

petersd

As pcdoc said and I agree don't manually set the DNS settings on the AP's, In your case there is no need to. Just let the AP's get all the IP info from your DHCP server. I would also try setting the channel to automatic instead of setting the channel number yourself unless there some technical reason your doing this, That works really well for me. Are all the clients having the same problem? What type of clients are we talking about? 

Please report back and let us know how it works...

I decided to manually set the channel, because for some reason it initially choose Channel 1, which is very congested. There are at times nearly a dozen other alien routers on Channel 1, similarly on 6 and 11 (but not as much). When it chooses Channel 1, there is a noticeable degradation in quality and connectivity, that is not there with Channel 4. But the Channel 1 alien routers seem to come on and off at different times, so it may be that when it is doing its scan, it happens at a time with the alien routers are off.

When I say clients, I mean client wireless devices. They all do report the same problem, which is that they appear connected, but cannot resolve domain names to IP addresses. When the clients get these problems (and it is sporadic) the network degrades and shows yellow and red on the Mesh Speed indicator of the dashboard. The clients are a range of iOS/Android cell phones and Windows laptops.

petersd

Completely unrelated to you trouble (maybe) but how did you determine that 75 feet apart was the ultimate placement for each AP?

That was chosen because of the physical layout of the property and the location of electricity. It was convenient to place the AP at points which happened to be about 75 ft apart each. I did not think this would be an issue as the AP are outdoors, on roof mounted poles, with clear and unobstructed lines of sight from each repeater to the gateway. Each AP is getting RSSI of between -41 and -54 dB (either end), which I think is good?

itGeeks

That was chosen because of the physical layout of the property and the location of electricity. It was convenient to place the AP at points which happened to be about 75 ft apart each. I did not think this would be an issue as the AP are outdoors, on roof mounted poles, with clear and unobstructed lines of sight from each repeater to the gateway. Each AP is getting RSSI of between -41 and -54 dB (either end), which I think is good?

Those numbers are more then good, General rule of thumb is put an AP at every -70dB for good overlap so you are well within the means for good performance.

itGeeks

I decided to manually set the channel, because for some reason it initially choose Channel 1, which is very congested. There are at times nearly a dozen other alien routers on Channel 1, similarly on 6 and 11 (but not as much). When it chooses Channel 1, there is a noticeable degradation in quality and connectivity, that is not there with Channel 4. But the Channel 1 alien routers seem to come on and off at different times, so it may be that when it is doing its scan, it happens at a time with the alien routers are off.

When I say clients, I mean client wireless devices. They all do report the same problem, which is that they appear connected, but cannot resolve domain names to IP addresses. When the clients get these problems (and it is sporadic) the network degrades and shows yellow and red on the Mesh Speed indicator of the dashboard. The clients are a range of iOS/Android cell phones and Windows laptops.

Now I am confused, Did you manually set them to channel 1 or 4? If you set them to channel 4 that's a big no no as that's an overlapping channel. In most cases you should only be using either 1, 6, 11 on the 2.4 GHz band. these client devices are any of them 5 GHz or wireless A/C? CloudTrax now has Band-Steering (still in beta) that could help devices that don't do well on there own to connect to the 5GHz band but you have to enable it. Have a look at this link https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/206098046-Band-Steering?mc_cid=fee1398c1a&mc_eid=0c46f8ab2a