RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Usage for Server

venno

Hi All

My g8 has been humming along nicely and running ESXi with 2 raid 1 volumes using the 4 disk slots, one for general VMs (XP, Ubuntu) and one for Xpenology VM.

I have a spare 240GB SSD and was looking at fitting it into the ODD space. I was wondering what the best usage of the drive would be. eg either as a datastore in ESXi or as a caching drive for ESXi/VMs

Can anyone who has done either or both comment on the utility of these options?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My ssd is on boot , my data is on the hdd

Ssd on boot is noticeably faster even with latest server install of linux ! It's about 10x speed up!

For ESXi, having it boot off a SSD is overkill. ESXi loads the bootbank into RAM and then runs off that ramdisk. It never touches the boot device again apart from doing updates. A USB flash drive or micro SD card in the internal slot is good enough for ESXi.

For caching, you'll need a vSphere Enterprise license to get vFRC. The basic SSD host cache that comes built into the basic version of ESXi is only for VM memory swapping which you shouldn't really do anyway since there is a huge performance penalty. Only vFRC is capable of caching disk access and that is write-through mode.

I'd use the SSD for the datastore unless you do have the above mentioned vSphere Enterprise license.

Edited by GotNoTime

I use the B120i to create a 10gb partition (Raid0 logical) on the SSD to hold ESXi 6.0 and then create a second logical drive for the rest of my storage space on the same SSD and use that as a datastore to hold my VM's. I have other HDD's to do the mass storage datastores.

However I have found the B120i not fit for purpose and have replaced it with a P410 PCI-E RAID Controller. The B120i just cant sustain the I/O performance im looking for with my server.

Edited by Altecice
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info, it has helped me formulate a further plan for my G8 overall regarding disk usage and storage options. 

I am making plans to acquire a xeon cpu, hba card and another 250GB ssd. I will look to using the SSD's as a raid 0 datastore for VM's and run them off the onboard mini SAS for the 6gbps sata ports and use the hba in pass thru to present the HDD's as disks for an Xpenology VM in SHR raid 5.

If all this works out I will sell my syno NAS  :)