RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
brothercannon

MSS 3.0 Upgrade on EX 470 not what I expected

brothercannon

As soon as HP made the update available for 470 owners I ordered my copy. It took me a while to get the update installed and regretted it almost immediately. All of the extra features that hp included heated up my 470 causing it to shut down. Aiming a house fan in front of the server took care of the heat until I could disable these new features. With the addition of the speed fan Add-in the server does not shut down due to heat. My real main problem is that all backups fail and files do not show up on my xbox 360. I tried re-applying the update and I got the same result. Has anyone else had any of these issues? I upgraded the ram and the cpu. The heat problem could be that the stock heatsink can't keep up with the new cpu.

brothercannon

and to top it off a hard drive either died or went missing this morning.

Jim

I had the same problem you described when I tried to upgrade to version 3.0 on my CPU-upgraded 470. I finally solved it by replacing the original Sempron. Everything has been running smoothly for more than 4 months. Despite what folks will tell you, I never had much luck with upgrading my CPU even on the old version of the OS. It was fine in the winter, but when the temp in the room got over 75 degrees F, my server would just randomly shut down.

I'm going to solve the problem once and for all by replacing my 3 year old 470 with a dual core 495.

diehard

Brothercannon, you said you upgraded the CPU, was it a dual-core ?

I installed the BE-2300 dual-core and with the HP v3 software, at 1.9ghz, it was running better than my new EX490 single core, until I upgraded the CPU to a E5400. I got my EX490 for $399, was cheaper than the EX495 even with the CPU upgrade which the EX490 has the E5200. This way you can select from a bunch of CPU's. An other point is that if you installed a dual-core in a EX470, you had to do the BIOS hack. With the EX490 to switch to a dual-core, there is no BIOS mod. Nice.

Also, the HP v3 software on the EX490 brought the server to a crawl if it was converting videos, but with the E5400 it was un-noticable.

The problem now is that it is very difficult to find a replacement CPU for the EX470.

There's no way this would all work on a Atom CPU. Even HP removed the CPU intensive software from the X510 Atom based servers.

brothercannon

I upgraded the cpu to a Athlon 64 LE-1640. I forget which site I found it on but this cpu was recommended because it was a simple swap, no need for a changing the bios.

I really wanted the new HP software and though the 470 was up to the task with the upgrades. It's been nothing but a hassle since the upgrade. I feel my best option is to revert to the old HP MSS server. I haven't downgraded yet because I want to be sure I have all of my data backed up and I'm a procrastinator.

About the dead or missing HD, I restarted the server and all is well. I'll have to keep an eye on that drive. It'll be the first one I replace.

brothercannon

I completed the downgrade and everything is back to normal. I ran into a few snags along the way but I figured it all out.