RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

essentials R2: use domain or not? (WHS V1 upgrade)

DocACE911

My TS140 is in the mail. Going to upgrade from WHS v1 ex495. Mix of clients from. WIB7/MCE TO windows 10/xbox/tivo/kodi

So the whole essential domain / non domain question...

Is there any good pro and con list? I heard a comment on pcper one would only join a domain at home if they were a masochist

I basically want the best setup to ensure all the clients (some pro so. Non pro) can see the shares, stream media, and backup

Has anything changed in the registry hack now with r2? I notice the kb is quite old.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you only have 3 or 4 clients then there is no advantage or disadvantage with a domain.  The thing is that on installation a domain will be setup. Now if you have been using (administrating) domains then there is no problem.  If you have not then it is not worth the hassle of learning. Just skipdomainjoin on each client install & maybe set SkipAutoDNSServerDection to True if you want your router to control DNS rather than Server (which is required with the Domain).

That's MHO and I am sure others will disagree.

Forgot to say that at present the connector has to be downloaded from MS site and installed for W10 clients where as for all other clients it is accessed from the server. An update will fix this "soon" according to MS.  This has nothing to do with the AD question.

Also to join a Domain you must have pro editions of windows on the clients.  I don't have any "home" editions but I think you can still back these clients up to the server.

• Like 1

I have only one client on my r2 essentials at the moment, and while I did not skipdomain when I set it up, I just set the domain password the same as the local account's password. Then I use the local account anyway because the client setup discriminates against windows 8.1 users by not creating an equivalent login environment for the domain login. When I move my other two clients to the r2 server I will do the skipdomain with them. KISS as they say...less to go wrong!

In theory by having all the PCs in the domain you could force policy tweaks to all of them but I don't know too many people who are at that level of OCD.

nrf

I am going to skip domain. Also realized that (it seems? ) impossible. To migrate the windows live profiles etc. So you join a domain and you are not logged into live... So mail, syncing, onedrive all needs to be setup again.

The live account won't stay in sync say between home machine and surface tablet on the road when not in a domain,

SKIPDNS smart also? What could possibly be the advantage of having server hand out Dns and not my Asus 68?

The live account won't stay in sync say between home machine and surface tablet on the road when not in a domain,

What won't sync?

So if I were to have 3 computers all with windows live accounts (mine) all in sync in windows 10 (backgrounds, passwords etc), joining a domain would break my ability to use the live sign in right? Since all those would be controlled by the server.

Ditto for my wife's computer

So not joining the domain seems most sensible

What about the DNS? SkipDomainJoon!?

So if I were to have 3 computers all with windows live accounts (mine) all in sync in windows 10 (backgrounds, passwords etc), joining a domain would break my ability to use the live sign in right? Since all those would be controlled by the server.

Ditto for my wife's computer

So not joining the domain seems most sensible

What about the DNS? SkipDomainJoon!?

Joining them to the Domain would force logging in from Domain credentials unless you created local Admin Accounts on each.  However, the domain and local accounts would be "separate users"

When you join a domain you end up with a different profile. The old user icons and desktop stuff does not show up with the domain logon so it looks like you started over with just the basic icons from a fresh start.  You can still logon as the non-domain user and get your old desktop using your old logon.  But the domain user account and the local user account are not linked.  This is the way I remember it.

After running a domain at home for almost 2 years, I say skip the domain.  I am currently in the process of getting everyone of the domain at home. I hate that you can't have kids accounts on the domain and be able to use the Family Safety features.