RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 client restore

Admin-blues

Hi all, just joined the forum but am always on the sidelines, I have an emachines laptop connected to my hp microserver N40L running WHS2011 I have replaced the laptop HDD and am trying to do a full restore from backup thats on the server via a usb recovery key I made on server, the problem is I can't configure the NIC on the laptop as I use all Static Ip addresses on my Lan, The drivers install via another usb key in the recovery wizard, but the wizard can't find my server, I have all my stations connected to a Draytek 2860vn.

Is there any other way I can configure the IP details, such as with a script or something...

Thanks in advanced if any one can help

Laptop running Win Vista 32bit

Ps I can restore it via ABR10 advanced workstation, but thought it a good time to test server restore

Cheers

Admin-blues

I seen this method tried before with success.  Put both on a dedicated switch off the network and it should find the server just fine.  Is the NIC driver loading for the new machine?  If not, I would load those drivers manually and make sure you have a good network environment.

Ok cheers I give that a go , and yes I loaded the NIC drivers and it says it installed driver ok

I let you know if it works thanks

No luck, same result I hooked it up to another switch and It just can't find the server, It's got to be because I'm using static ip address, if I use Acronis to do the restore via boot disk then I get an option to configure Network details, same if i;m using MSDARt boot disk, but I don't get this option with WHS2011 restore

Are you sure these are on the same subnet?  The reason I ask is you put the complexity of fixed addresses in the loop.

Well the thing is I can't set my Laptops static ip address so I guess that machine is getting a 169 address? so there probably not on the same page hey, as for Static ip addresses I've used static for about 20 years, why ain't there a configuration box to set that up?

I checked over at youv'e been served forum and there saying it's because it's a Realtek NIC

I've got Acronis doing the restore now, love to find an answer though and maybe try it one day

Thanks for the help

Admin-blues

Solved it, right after the restore wizard screen, ALT CTRL SHIFT drops you into a command prompt, Type netsh and configure a static ip address, after that it finds the server and you can enter the password and start the restore...

took a bit of time but got there in the end...

• Like 1