RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Simple Fan Add-on

sypher

Hi there,

just wanted to share with everyone a the solution i adapted that will get you molex and pwm controlled fans ... It's actually pretty simple, and its simplicity makes me think i did something wrong, however, it seems like its working.

1st. Power. 

Just under the ODD drive bay there's a molex that gives power to the disk. Split it. 

With this item, you will have +2 molex connectors that you can use. 

81dxdGhWoVL._SL1500_.jpg

2. Fans

Take this item:

51xOLzKTz9L.jpg

Connect the 'connect to psu' to one of the molex that you just installed, take the 'connect to motherboard and rip off the green and blue pins. 

Connect the blue cable to the BLUE fan cable of the hp microserver. 

Connect the fans that you want to control to the other connectors (case fan 1 and 2 and cpu fan).

There you go. 

The green cable you can just cut it away or take it off completely. 

PWM signal is given by the blue cable to the fan, the green one is the sense signal that the motherboard is getting already from the included fan. 

Basically, attach 2 molex, connect 1 cable to another. done. more fans. more power. 

Did i do something wrong ? 

Hmm.. I was under the impression that the fan connector on the G8 MS has a proprietary connector and/or signalling. But if you're not getting any weird fan behavior or iLO errors and such, you may have stumbled across the holy grail of fan upgrades.

I don't have a G8, btw, so I may be missing something.

Hmm.. I was under the impression that the fan connector on the G8 MS has a proprietary connector and/or signalling. But if you're not getting any weird fan behavior or iLO errors and such, you may have stumbled across the holy grail of fan upgrades.

The method it uses to detect rotation isn't the standard PC fan tacho and the connector is a non-standard 5 wires in 6 pin socket arrangement.

One of the wires is a 3.3V PWM signal but I'm not entirely sure whether it is 100% compatible with the usual open collector PWM for a PC. It appears to work for sypher.

The PWM signal is the same as the others, the main problem with other mods is that you have to entirely replace the connector which may lead to the fan not reporting 'back' to the MB the speed rotation. 

This (my?) mod simply takes the PWM signal and splits it to 4 other fans, while the original fan reports back the rotation speed, so the MB can effectively know how much its going at. 

I was worried that by splitting it into 2 fans the maximum speed that the fan would go at would be 50%, but that dosn't seem to be the case, i put it to the max i could (70%) and then with the pwm wire exposed proceeded to 'touch' it with the splitter while it was running. There was no difference in rotational speed of the delta fan, but the cpu fan slowed down from 100% to 70% (i could 'hear' the difference). I then did the same test at 30% to reeeeally notice the difference (at 70 was for me to notice difference on the big fan, on 30 on the small one), and still worked as well. 

I would suggest this for everyone. Gives power and 4 fans at the price of stripping one cable. 

To sum it up:

1. strip the blue cable of the g8 fan cable.

2. attach the newly stripped blue cable to the blue cable of the pwm splitter. (its already split into 3, just yank it out of the connector and it has a veeery useful hook for you to use). 

3. attach the pwm splitter molex to the molex splitter, and attach that one to the one of the G8 (under the odd bay), while re-attaching the disk molex. 

you're done. enjoy pwm controlled fans; up to 5 in the case. i guess thats enough... 

Btw: here's the pinout: 

post-8123-0-98784900-1394609613.png

The idea behind this is from another user of this forum which did all the work, discovered the pinout etc etc

Here's the original:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7294-faking-the-fan-signal/

His problem was, as far as i can guess, that he had to trick the rotation detect which isnt standard, to avoid the fan missing error and shutdown of the server.

With this mod we simply get the PWM speed control, we don't replace the original fan in any way so there's no problem at all. 

Edited by sypher