RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Here Is a Little Tidbit That May Open Your Eyes About Windows 10 & Your Privacy.

itGeeks

Also, the thing that really bothers me about the whole "privacy" BS.... is that people want Microsoft to continue to rapidly improve the OS, but don't want to be included in the telemetry data at all (regardless of what it may or may not collect). 

Additionally, considering that it's very much integrated with online services, to the point that wiping the system isn't really a big deal for the most part... well, there is a price that you pay for t hat. 

As for WiFi Sense. This is a great example. This is a non-issue that was blown completely out of proportion.  Basically, it uses information from your Microsoft account to grab wifi credentials from your contacts and gives you access to them. It does so in a secure manner, where you never actually know the password for the hotspots.

However, somebody didn't bother to read the FAQ about it, and just decided to start a shitstorm based on what they thought it does rather than investigating.

In case you're interested, here is the FAQ for WiFi Sense:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq

As somebody recently said. If you're not paying for it... you're what's being sold.

And as nrf implies, Google and Apple (yes, both of them), as well as other companies (such as facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram, etc), have been collecting the same sorts of information about you and your usage for years.  However, Microsoft finally starts doing it and suddenly, they're the only ones spying on everyone....

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/08/25/pirate-sites-ban-windows-10-over-privacy-worries/?utm_source=Naked%2520Security%2520-%2520Feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=rss2&utm_campaign=Feed

And people wonder why I call a lot of those freaking about the privacy stuff part of the "tin foil brigade"....

so if we want some privacy we need to consider both what we share voluntarily as well as what is done behind our backs. I for one refuse to be involved with facebook and don't feel the need to tweet my every move/thought/location etc. The idea of staying off the internet altogether just does not seem reasonable to me.

As somebody recently said. If you're not paying for it... you're what's being sold.

And as nrf implies, Google and Apple (yes, both of them), as well as other companies (such as facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram, etc), have been collecting the same sorts of information about you and your usage for years.  However, Microsoft finally starts doing it and suddenly, they're the only ones spying on everyone....

Totally Agree.

• Like 1

so if we want some privacy we need to consider both what we share voluntarily as well as what is done behind our backs. I for one refuse to be involved with facebook and don't feel the need to tweet my every move/thought/location etc. The idea of staying off the internet altogether just does not seem reasonable to me.

Agreed, I don't do Facebook or twitter either but they do have a place for some people and can also be a very good tool for some company's but I myself as a company owner don't have a need for such services. I want to be in control at all times as to what services have access & redistribute my information and the fact that it seems I don't have that control in Windows 10 and what Microsoft seems to be doing or involved with is worse then anything Google or Apple has done with sharing only our browsing habits and what we are all interested in and this is a very bad thing. It seems like Microsoft has complete access to ALL our files stored on our local storage as well as whats in the cloud and that's very disturbing to me as well as the public, Just do a search on this issue and you will see it has many users of Windows 10 in a up raw rite now and unless Microsoft steps up to the plate and commits on this there will be many people doing a back step on Windows 10. I am with Leo from TWiT on this 100% if the Authorities want my info they should have to come to me for it not be able to go behind our backs unless we agreed to share our files and get 100% of our personal files from some 3rd party company like Microsoft after all if I did not agree to share it or I did not upload my files to something like OneDrive or DropBox ect. then my files should remain my files and the authorities should be forced to come to me with the proper paperwork if they need them. This whole thing is not to be taken lightly. We should not be afraid to use the internet but its getting to a point that we almost must be afraid of the great resource of the internet or big brother will be looking at our sensitive files even though we did not agree to share them. This is just food for thought and I for one am reconsidering what I am using and what I am going to do from here on out. I personal don't want to worry about my personal pictures that maybe intimate pictures of me and my wife getting in the hands of some government agency for all of them to drool over if I did not upload them to some photo service like what happened to celebrities photos not long ago using Apple, Hence is the reason y I have my own infrastructure in-house and host my own cloud storage for me and my family.

Edited by itGEEKS

It is disappointing that Leo did not research this before reporting it.

Kevin, I respect you very much. You and I have been around this community for a long time, Y would you say something like this? Leo is a well known respected person in the tech field and he saw something that disturbed him and he reported it via YouTube for the public to be aware of and after a quick search on google for Windows 10 privacy it seems that he is not alone in his feelings. I have to believe this is very real and a major concern for Windows 10 users and unless Microsoft steps up to the plate and addresses this it will be a fatal thing for Windows 10 because the public will do an a bow face and uninstall Windows 10.  

Also, the thing that really bothers me about the whole "privacy" BS.... is that people want Microsoft to continue to rapidly improve the OS, but don't want to be included in the telemetry data at all (regardless of what it may or may not collect). 

Additionally, considering that it's very much integrated with online services, to the point that wiping the system isn't really a big deal for the most part... well, there is a price that you pay for t hat. 

As for WiFi Sense. This is a great example. This is a non-issue that was blown completely out of proportion.  Basically, it uses information from your Microsoft account to grab wifi credentials from your contacts and gives you access to them. It does so in a secure manner, where you never actually know the password for the hotspots.

However, somebody didn't bother to read the FAQ about it, and just decided to start a shitstorm based on what they thought it does rather than investigating.

In case you're interested, here is the FAQ for WiFi Sense:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/08/25/pirate-sites-ban-windows-10-over-privacy-worries/?utm_source=Naked%2520Security%2520-%2520Feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=rss2&utm_campaign=Feed

And people wonder why I call a lot of those freaking about the privacy stuff part of the "tin foil brigade"....

Chris I am all for a better computer experience even if that means collecting some data from me to improve my shopping experience or my dinning experience but when you cross that line like it appears Microsoft is doing in Windows 10 by having access to ALL my personal files stored only local on my computer that's where I draw the line, If I did not agree to it then my files stay private and local to me, no ifs and or buts about it. I will be watching this latest news and if Microsoft does not have something to say about all this then I for one will probably be uninstalling Windows 10 on all my family's computers, This may sound drastic but I am good and mad about this news. I have nothing to hide and I am a law abiding citizen but I want to be in control of my data and is the reason y I have thousands of dollars invested in my own infrastructure and I don't use online services such as OneDrive or DropBox where I have no control over what data is sheared with hew.

Edited by itGEEKS