RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Modifying heatsink to fit ... Could this work?

sypher

Hi, 

question for every modder here ...

I've put my hands on a 100% copper (afaik) heatsink, i can't find the specifics online (its an old passive heatsink for a production server) ... 

The thing is, its a little bit smaller than the holes, as you can see from the photos ...

I had this thought to use a drill to chip away the corners and then use a screw + washer to keep it in place.

What do you guys think of the solution? Any (presumably better) alternative?

And what do you think its the TDP of this heatsink ? Should be enough i guess (i've got a 69w tdp cpu now, the 1280v2) 

Thanks! 

Ps. The black dots are the actual place of the holes now (65x75)

003rv08n.pnggcil1gl7.pnghc7f3omq.png

Could you not run some sort of retention bar across from one set of holes to the other rather than having the screws just catching the HS from the side?

The sides of it would probably be in the middle i guess, i'd have no space to attach the retention bar without drilling through the heatsink itself

Can't edit no more so i'll just add it here:

I have also found another one, *bigger* one, passive for 125w tdp cpu (opteron), 310-0128-03 ...

To adapt this i would need to drill the holes through the fins; would that be ok anyway, heat wise ? 

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

Hmmm, might be "passive" heatsinks but I bet they have airflow requirements to cool a 125w CPU, also if you are planning on going through the fins how big is it, cant remember whatelse sits around the Gen8's socket...

well, i put it ...

checking now how it is, after around 15 minutes the cpu topped at 50c sensor from ILO and inside the cores were at a whopping 80c ... 

Stopped the test and its taking longer than with stock one to cool down, had to orient the fins the other way, maybe thats the reason.

In the end, i dont think its a good solution ... i'll go with the AKASA one i guess. 

Hmmm, might be "passive" heatsinks but I bet they have airflow requirements to cool a 125w CPU, also if you are planning on going through the fins how big is it, cant remember whatelse sits around the Gen8's socket...

Yes. It looks like they're heatsinks for a 1U server which means you'd normally get fierce airflow across it from the many chassis fans. Edited by GotNoTime