RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New home nas

iruindegi

Hi,

I just bought hp microserver g8 and I want to know your opinion. I want a debian for home router/firewall and a nas (xpenology) for my media.

Whats is the best in your opinion?

- Install a debian (is it possible to install on a usb pendrive or sd? on the motherboard?) and proxmox for my nas vm

- Install a Esxi (where?) and have 2 Vm, one with Debian as router/firewall and another with my nas ?

Any help or clue?

probably best to go with esxi boot it off a USB then your raid arrays are just storage.  I would also look for an intel 2-4 port gigabit card so you can and 2 ports dedicated to the router for in and out as a best way to isolate the router from the rest of the traffic.  Also in this method you could run a separate windows box to handle transcoding on the plex server leaving the nas just to serve the files.

• Like 1

thanks @yodafett ! I´m reading about Esxi and I think I´ll go with it, installing to a sd card. I´m not sure but it seems that there are some problems with Esxi 6.0 (is that true?) version so I´ll go with 5.5.

I´ve a switch with vlan support so I don´t need another ethernet card, maybe I´ll buy a vga card in the future, we´ll see.

My plan is to install xpenology, it has plex server... why you mention a VM with windows for transcoding? how is that?

thanks for your help!!

I´m not sure but it seems that there are some problems with Esxi 6.0 (is that true?) version so I´ll go with 5.5.

ESXi 6.0 is fine. There are issues with the hpvsa driver that runs the B120i "card" but that affects all versions of ESXi (and Linux).
  • Like 1

I have Debian running off ssd

I have not yet installed any VMs ( I am lazy) but am planning to go kvm route I.e Kvm on debian

I plan to use the existing dual port as net-in and net-out.

If you have celeron Or pentium cpu , the Ethernet would not be pass-thru , so you will have to do some routing magic on os level !!!?

Xeon pass thru the Ethernet

If you have celeron Or pentium cpu , the Ethernet would not be pass-thru , so you will have to do some routing magic on os level !!!?

Xeon pass thru the Ethernet

I don't use KVM but I expect that it supports VLANs on the network interfaces like ESXi. You don't need to use PCI device passthrough.