RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cpu cooling idea

W1ck3d

Hi everyone

I recently purchased a Gen8 to replace 3 older n40l media servers. I installed a Xeon E3-1230 v2 cpu with 16gig memory.

It's working like a charm.

So I've been reading on this forum about the different options on cooling the cpu a bit more.

So I came up with an idea, I'm on sure if anyone has tried this.

How about installing a Corsair h80i watercooling system, running the pipes out one of the pcie slots and mounting the fan on a custom bracket.

http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

I'm not having any issues as yet but I'm moving to Dubai soon and I fear the heat will take its toll there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It depends on the screws. Check dimensions of distances they seem to be not standard. You can find a threat here about this particular issue. But I would really loking forward to see such a Mod

I would say if you can get the rad in the back of the case then thats not a bad run, you'd probably end up looping the pipework though so you might want to look at shortening them.

Holes would be less of a problem for you than most aftermarket options as they tend to be pretty static where as the brackets that hold the block in place can proably be twisted a bit or have the holes enlarged to give the wobble room to tag the ones on the board..

• 2 weeks later...

Yip I am aware that we'll have to make a connection ring that will fit to the holes in the gen8 board.

So my Lab kit arrived to that will have :

Xeon E3-1241 v2 processor

16 gig ddr3 1600mhz non etc memeory

And 2 x 120ssd drives mirrored for the ost.

This will be connected to a HP n40l with 5 x 3Tb drives in raid 5 running freenas 9.3.

To deliver all the required storage space.

With this and some mice virtual tools I should be able to simulate most cased room improve my skill sets

Edited by W1ck3d

So I'm going to try and build a custom ring that will tie the cpu cooling block to the existing screw up holes I'm am going to try and document this as much as possible in a new thread.