RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
byronomo

Moving blocks of files from WHS v1 to Synology

byronomo

I'm transitioning from WHS v1 to Synology NAS for all of my storage other than PC backups and recorded TV.   I have a very basic question:

What is the best (i.e. most reliable) way to move the files over?  Will a drag & drop Windows file copy do the trick or is there another method that I should use?

Is there a tool that verifies the integrity of the copied files/folders (or is something like that even necessary)?

I expect that the procedure will take a very long time.  Both my WHS and Synology have battery backups attached to them.  If an extended power outage were to occur mid-transfer, what should I do?  Stop the transfer manually?  Let the WHS and the Synology shut themselves down, as they are configured to do when running on battery after the battery level goes below a certain threshold?   Cross my fingers?

Thanks!

• Like 1

BSR

I like Teracopy for large transfers (you can download/install it from Ninite.com)

It can be set up to do a verify after the copy.  Also it's much more robust than Windows file copy if it's interrupted.  You won't be pulling your hair out and starting from scratch if something goes wrong.

• Like 2

Drashna Jaelre

Robocopy (if you don't mind command line), or TeraCopy (GUI, with "drag and drop handling). 

I personally prefer TeraCopy, as it has a GUI, and it does to a checksumming. 

That and Teracopy has the option to pause the transfer, if needed.

Robocopy is built in, IIRC. But TeraCopy can be downloaded from the official site for it here: http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

• Like 1

byronomo

Teracopy it is.  Thanks for your responses!

awraynor

I like BeyondCompare for my simple needs. 

itGeeks

I'm transitioning from WHS v1 to Synology NAS for all of my storage other than PC backups and recorded TV.   I have a very basic question:

What is the best (i.e. most reliable) way to move the files over?  Will a drag & drop Windows file copy do the trick or is there another method that I should use?

Is there a tool that verifies the integrity of the copied files/folders (or is something like that even necessary)?

I expect that the procedure will take a very long time.  Both my WHS and Synology have battery backups attached to them.  If an extended power outage were to occur mid-transfer, what should I do?  Stop the transfer manually?  Let the WHS and the Synology shut themselves down, as they are configured to do when running on battery after the battery level goes below a certain threshold?   Cross my fingers?

Thanks!

First let me say I am sorry I am late to the game, I did see your post the day you created it but i was busy and could not respond right away then I almost forgot about it till today so even if my help is to late atleast you and others know there is a better way of doing what your trying to do.

You dont need any of these great 3rd party programs that have been recommended, You can do all this threw Synology File Station with ease. First let me say I like Allway Sync http://www.allwaysync.com/

Free for light copying but if you try to move to much data with it then you will have to pay for it. this is a great easy to use program with a great GUI, I use this program to move large files from one location to another and to keep directory in synce on Microsoft OS systems both Windows and Server but you dont need this for what your trying to do becouse this is built into Synology already. First follow these instruction to mount a volume in Synology File Station: https://help.synology.com/dsm/?section=DSM&version=5.2&link=FileBrowser%2Fmountremotevolume.html

Now thats done you have access to your WHSv1 share in Synology File Station, The next thing you want to do is select all the files from your mounted WHSv1 folder then goto the Action Menu and select the Copy to/Move to option then salect the Move to option it will then show you all your folders on ur NAS just click the folder you want to move everything to, Click ok and sit back and have some popcorn till its done :) This will be faster then Windows Cut/Copy/Past but could still take awhile depending on the amount of data your trying to move but either way its still better then using Windows cut/copy/past and you dont have to leave your Windows computer on becouse everything will be handled on the Synology NAS. Hope this helps, And dont forget to unmount your WHSv1 shared folder in Synology File Station after the copy is done. Good luck.

Edited by itGEEKS

byronomo

Thanks for your post.  I do use Allwaysyc Pro for something else and also like it.