RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

anyone here tried opnsense based on freebsd

nrf

admittedly not quite linux but as a fork of pfsense it seems in scope...

lots of energy in that organization, so it has piqued my curiosity...

nrf

Nope.

So... what is the difference between pfSense and OPNSense, other than that they forked pfSense? I'm not seeing a clear list. 

Just marketing buzz from LeaseWeb, which appears to be the company that owns and is developing it?

So... what is the difference between pfSense and OPNSense, other than that they forked pfSense? I'm not seeing a clear list.

New GUI. Less features since they ripped out stuff to do the new GUI. A vastly smaller installed base, less developers and a smaller community as well.

The devs on twitter are quite loud mouthed and have made some quite aggressive statements towards pfSense along with outright lies.

If I had to choose between the projects then I'd go for pfSense since they're far more likely to still be around in a year or two.

I set up a couple of vms, one for the firewall and one for a client. it seemed far more flexible than sophos as far as juggling the nics around for example. what I was able to see of the interfaces seemed pretty well behaved. I didn't get into a situation where I had to re-install unlike some of my experiences with sophos. On the other hand, sophos is working pretty well for me now and this product doesn't (perhaps just no yet) have some of the more advanced capabilities. it was fun to play around with it though, I had a chance to try some of the different network types in virtual box.

I didn't mean to start a flame war.

I didn't mean to start a flame war.

Regardless, how the company that supports and develops the product speaks to it's longevity.  Especially when it's open source.