RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Icy Dock External Storage with Intel NUC or HP Stream mini

Dave

Hey Guys,

I just want to float out a conversation piece and see what you guys think.  If you had a NUC or something like the Stream mini desktop what do you think of adding external storage to it?  Either in a media center type application or some other application.  I'm not sure how you guys are using these NUC's and small boxes.  Discuss!

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=201

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=191

yodafett

I have 2 NUCs at work I 5 models with 16gb each boot with 120 msata then use an iscsi connection for storage. Most of these micro PC have just 1 USB 3. This is my test VM lab. At home I have a Inspiron 3050 micro with 120 m.2 and a test 750gb internal. I use then the gen8 or 2 Qnaps for media storage

• Like 2

Drashna Jaelre

Bah, storage on it?!

Plex/Emby, or VPN into the network and access my server. ;)

revengineer

My nuc off loads files directly to my server, so I have no need for external storage at my media center pc.

yodafett

My internal storage is for media as we head down the road, better than eating up the bandwidth on the cells the just wifi connect to Zuckess and poof plenty of movies/music.

itGeeks

I have 2 NUCs at work I 5 models with 16gb each boot with 120 msata then use an iscsi connection for storage. Most of these micro PC have just 1 USB 3. This is my test VM lab. At home I have a Inspiron 3050 micro with 120 m.2 and a test 750gb internal. I use then the gen8 or 2 Qnaps for media storage

What model NUC's are you running? The iscsi support in these NAS units are realy great. When I was running WSE2012R2 and I decomitioned my huge Norco RPC-4224 case in faver of a NAS thats what I used and it worked great.