RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 with freenas + crashplan and plex

mdahal

Hello everyone,

Recently I have managed to get brand new gen 8 microserver for AU$300 ~ US$220. Now, I would love to see if anyone have used this with freenas + crashplan. I would like to get plex as well but I think it is going to be too much of an ask for celeron. I might get seperate box for plex streaming probably intel pentium nuc (NUCPPYH).

I will be using it mainly for storage, time machine backup, windows backup and backup to crashplan.

I have 3 X 3tb hdd which I am planning on using raid z1 plus 8 gig ECC memory to start with which will be upgraded to 16gig once funds become available.

Edited by mdahal

Plex works sufficient for me on the 1610T (under CentOS). I usually stream to my Ipad or AppleTV (using plexconnect). Could it depend on the destination (like a 4k TV), if you need a better CPU?

Some have swapped the CPU for a supported i5, because they wanted to navigate faster through a film.

Thank you Royco. I am not worried about plex. I have an i3 Nuc which I can commision to plex. I wanted to check how the celeron fared with crashplan. I currently have i7 computer doing the job but wanted to ask if celeron is able to handle encryption/transfer at high speed for crashplan.

I have more or less the same exact configuration, freenas + plex and other programs (couchpotato, sickbeard, transmission, etc). I don't use crashplan anymore, but it was installed at some point. 

The CPU is not enough for transcoding, but it is enough for streaming (Direct Play if your tv supports it).

If you need to transcode you will have to upgrade the cpu ... 

I'm available in case you want some infoes on how i set everything up

Ciao! 

Thank you Sypher, 

All I want to hear is Crashplan can backup in this machine fast enough. As I said I am not too much worried about plex; I have intel nuc which is capable to transcoding if needed.

Did you use crashplan ? Was it fast enough compressing/uploading ?

I currently have i7 4770 which I use for cp and it is able to saturate my 40mbps upload connection. All I want to do with this machine is serve files to 10-12 devices including plex server. Accept time machine backup, windows backup, upload any changes to crashplan. Do you think it can do this without much hiccup ?

Still waiting on my 16g memory to  start.

serving files, handling backups, yup, can do that. 

can't transcode if you put the server inside it though. all the rest, it does fine 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just following up on my question. I have got everything setup and crashplan  +  CIFS + AFP share works well. However, if I am transferring files from both CIFS and AFP under freenas. Speed of crashplan restore drops right down. I have left this to restore around 500GB of data. I see average cpu load around 1.6 that means it definately won't work for plex.

I have measured with wall meter and it is currently using 57w while fully being used. I have ordered used 1265l through ebay which should considerably increase its power enabling me to use few virtual machine and plex as well.