RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ReInstall option not being offered!?

vinylfreak

I seemed to have gotten myself into a little trouble with this one :-(

I just got back from being away from home for about 4 days. I turned on my HTPC and couldn't connect to my WHS. I could view the shared folders, WMP saw them , Media Center saw them, I could RDP into my WHS , but I could not connect through the console and my WHS icon was grayed out in the task bar. I tried to reinstall the connector software several times with no luck. This was very strange behavior. None of my computers were able to be backed up. The server could not be seen. Even though I could view the shared folders?

Long story short I decided reluctantly to do a Reinstall / Repair of WHS. It started out fine I had to reload the drivers for my Sata add in cards. WHS recognized all my drives (6). The software gave me two choices a New Install (which would erase all of my Data =() and a reinstall which would save my data and just refresh the OS (add ins would have to be reinstalled. It started to load the installation files. The screen stated installation would be done in 51 minutes. I waited. It was almost done loading the installation files when I had to leave the room. When I came back the Server had restarted. I just thought it was part of the reinstall process. When it came back up it erred out and said Windows had to shut down to prevent damage to the PC.

I started the reinstall process all over again by booting off of the install DVD. Everything went fine until I got to the install options. This time it only offered me a New Install option with No Reinstall option offered!?!? This meant I would loose All 6 TB of Data on the Server by going this route. I tried again with the same results. It recognized all my Drives , but still no reinstall options!

I am Really hoping I can get some Help from you guys. What are my options. I probably have enough loose hard drives I'm not using to transfer Most of the important Data off if I have to start over. Right now I cant even access the Data to pull it off.

Any and All Suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!! I'm at a loss.

There are two things you can do. First, you can move the drivess to another PC and pull the files off. You should be able to read the drives. As for the re-instll option, this is "usually" associasted with the primary drive not being in the first sata slot in the BIOS. Make sure that that you have the primary drive plugged into the sata port 0 of your mother board not the add in card and that should resolve the issue.

Another way to look at this is "what is the state of your data?" Having faced the question of "new install" question a few times I tend to ask myself a couple of questions......

Have I lost any data on my client machines that I may need again? (docs photo's etc) and that I can not recover from elewhere.

Are the client machines showing any signs of becoming flakey?

Am I reasonably certain that they are not riddled with virus's?

Am I using the shared folders on the server (I don't as a rule.)

Am I as sure as I can be that I can reback the client computers on whs?

If my feelings are good about these issues then I have no problems with a new installation.

I get the general feeling from WHS users that backups are treated as sacred items but provided you can retrieve a good copy of your files and or your o/s and you're not planning to install anything new in the next two days which might destablise a client computer then you should be good.

I don't generally delete things from client computers unless I am absolutely sure I will not need it again (an out of focus picture for instance) and because I have had (due to hardware failure) had to install a new whs a couple of times, I don't store anything I don't need in shared folder.

I hope that helps

There are two things you can do. First, you can move the drivess to another PC and pull the files off. You should be able to read the drives. As for the re-instll option, this is "usually" associasted with the primary drive not being in the first sata slot in the BIOS. Make sure that that you have the primary drive plugged into the sata port 0 of your mother board not the add in card and that should resolve the issue.

pcdoc...Thanks for the info and advice! I did not know that about the OS drive being in Sata port 0 on the motherboard.

A big part of my problem I think lies in the age of my motherboard. I built my WHS when I upgraded my HTPC. I used my old case, motherboard and ram. The motherboard is now over 5 years old. Its an Asus AMD (939 Socket)Nforce 4 board. I found out through Much Frustration and lost time that WHS does not like the Sata ports on this MB. It has something to do with the Nforce 4 chip set. The box would run fine for a while then start having numerous IO Errors which were traced back to the on board Sata ports on the Asus MB.

As a result all six of my hard drives are connected through Sata add in cards. Long story short I did a Fresh install of the OS and am in the process of Migrating my Shared Folders data. With the amount of DVD BluRay rips I had stored I figure I should be done sometime in September :lol: . Any how I used a guide that "Drashna" had written up for the "We Got Served" Wiki.It was very helpful. Here is the link Drashna's wiki

Thanks to britishbob. You bring up some very good considerations when faced with this problem.

I will update everyone on my progress.

Thanks

Good luck. It might be time to start saving for that new server, especially if you are ripping BD.

Thanks!

Yes this current Asus AMD board is getting pretty long in the tooth.

When I can save up enough cash I would really like to go the Core i3 route. Some of the builds Ive been seeing look pretty sweet.

I can always re-purpose the old Asus MB into a less expensive case with plenty of drive bays to create additional storage pool drives. At least that is my long range plan for right now.

At least it is working and all is not lost...

Just wanted to let everyone know I got my WHS back up and running again:D. Drashna's wiki worked like a charm. He gives instructions on also how to restore your backups. I did not take the time to go through that process .My PC backups weren't that critical to me. My main goal was to restore all my shared folder content.

I got it all back Music (370GB),Photos (54GB),DVDs & BluRays (2.3TB) and Recorded TV (730 GB). For some reason 2 of my BluRays didn't transfer. I will just re-rip them.

Two things I am going to do from now on is back up all my shared media folders to secondary removable drives , and to back up my back ups. Live and learn. ;)