• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• awraynor

• pcdoc

• yodafett

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a i

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again     along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed    Th

I really enjoyed this podcast. many aspects were covered in the discussions. The questions about blown mobo or a disaster situation were especially good for the discussion. Likewise, the aspect of not

I already put out a tweet challenging them to step up in the way that Synology has.

Good job, It will be interesting to see what they say :rolleyes:

And to further muddy the waters Paul Braren has a video showing some new QNAP units.

One was AMD which apparently isn't the favored processor around here.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

After listening to the podcast I was excited to buy one bit they are too under powered for my taste. I guess I will stick with home builds. It would be awesome if they would make their software available for home builds.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

After listening to the podcast I was excited to buy one bit they are too under powered for my taste. I guess I will stick with home builds. It would be awesome if they would make their software available for home builds.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

What would you be using the NAS for? Don't underestimate these quad cores and after all its lightweight Linux not heavywaight Windows all adds up to a big difference :) You can put 16GB of memory in the QNAP TS-X53 Pro series, Its spec for up to 8GB but its been confirmed that many user have put 16GB of memory using two 8GB sticks, This is great if you want to run a VM on it.

I would not count of these company such as QNAP and Synology to every sell the software alone because the over priced hardware is how they make there money. I guess when you factor all the great free applications you have access to it may somehow all balance out. 3 years ago I never would of thought I would give up my 24 bay core i5 powerhouse but today I am here to tell you I no longer have that in use and I am the happy owner of several Synology NAS units both onsite and offsite and they have been rock solid. 

Edited by itGEEKS
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

itGEEKS. You must have a home IT budget that would make PC Doc jealous. That linked NAS box was really nice, but I would end

up in divorce if I bought that thing. My original 2011 box had an earlier i3 and it did transcoding fairly well via MyMovies. MyMovies

uses handbrake and that software is a resource hog.

I have around 5TB of DVD folder rips that are then transcoded via MyMovies to .mp4 files. They work well with the iPads, Plex

and with streaming. I just think the old i7 box is a bit of a power hog and a heat producer. It's very convoluted, but I guess if there

were a problem I could convert with MyMovies and use the NAS as a target. If I used 4 (4-6TB) drives that would probably hold

me for a while. I am putting most of my files in OneDrive (almost wrote SkyDrive) and it's working pretty well so otherwise I don't 

have a lot of data except around 500GB of music. 

I would love to hear what you think about QNAP vs. Synology given how you are so experienced with Synology. 

Man you have some nice gear. We are still doing a lot of remodeling to a house we bought. I'm probably getting a part-time

job to finish up this house so my tech budget isn't as generous as yours right now. 

Anthony get ready for more confusion to aid in you purchase decision, Have a look at this link for some great talk over on the SmallNetBuilder site http://www.snbforums.com/threads/nas-recommendation.26123/

Edited by itGEEKS

Interesting discussion. I seem to have inadvertently done what one commenter recommended, and used two different platforms (Synology & QNAP) in the same location.  This provides redundancy but with different products, in case one has some sort of security issue or breach. 

It's rare that I do something potentially smart before someone else TELLS me to do it.  Better write it down! 

Dear Diary.....